chapter iii

THE FOLLOWING DAYS WERE NOT KIND TO SIERRA. First, she'd volunteered not to participate in the chariot races so that someone could watch the border. Obviously, everyone then attributed it to her being too cowardly to compete. That rumor was very quickly put to rest when she almost killed Sherman Yang, her half brother, in a duel the same afternoon out of anger.

Sherman was still visiting the infirmary daily for a dose of nectar, and limping slightly on his left leg. Everyone else found it terrifying but, as per usual, Sherman thought it was hilarious and her other siblings had high-fived her for it.

What followed though, was the real sour point in her day. Percy Jackson decided to talk to her. She was cleaning up the arena after her daily lessons, giving, not getting, when Percy entered. She didn't mention her notice of him at first, so when he tapped on her shoulder he seemed surprised she wasn't.

"Um, hi?" He said it like a question, which made Sierra's regular scowl deepen as she studied him.

"Hi," she said, and continued organizing the various pieces of armor that had been used and cleaned by her siblings earlier.

"So, um," he kept talking, a fact that had Sierra gritting her teeth in annoyance, "the thing with the bulls yesterday, that was kind of awesome." Sierra shrugged in indifference as she hefted up three bronze breast plates and began to carry the metal to storage, "do you need help?" She glared at him as he tried to take one of them from her.

"What do you want Jackson?" She asked, sick of him tiptoeing. He blinked a few times in surprise.

"You, know my name?" He asked, and Sierra huffed, rolling her eyes and walking away. "Sorry, it's just, I don't know yours so, it's kind of weird you know mine."

"You went on a quest for Zeus' master bolt," Sierra said, before grunting in effort as she lifted a breast plate up and over onto a mannequin. She repeated the action with the two in her arms before turning to exit the shed. Percy was standing in the entrance, his eyes wide and staring at her like an owl, "you're also the only demigod son of Poseidon in the world and my sister's mortal enemy. So yes Percy, I know your name. You don't know mine because my Dad hates you and I have put no energy into knowing you, and neither have you until I did that," she raised her hands and did air quotes with her fingers as she said, "awesome thing with the bulls," she dropped her hands.

"Ok?" He said it like a question again and Sierra walked out of the shed, having him scrambling out of her way so she didn't run into him.

"If there's something you want Jackson, say it, if not, get out of my damn arena," she demanded finally. Percy seemed to be regretting his choice in talking to her.

"I want you to give me sword fighting lessons," he said finally.

"No, we done?" Percy watched her pick up more armor in confusion.