chapter xix

IF PERCY SURVIVED THIS, HE VOWED TO THE GODS THAT HE WOULD THANK THE FATES FOR PICKING SIERRA AS HIS PROTECTOR BECAUSE HOLY HADES THAT GIRL COULD FIGHT. She moved fluidly with her sister, Clarisse stabbing the cyclops drawing his attention and while he was distracted Sierra would stab at him, which again opened up the way for Clarisse. It was such a fluid system, Percy felt clunky every time he added a blow and messed up the rhythm. 

"Percy!" Sierra said, as she jumped back after slashing at the cyclops' ankle and Clarisse went for his knee. "Rope bridge!" She said, Percy saw what she meant, Grover following Andy who was carrying Annabeth, the three clamoring across the rope bridge. It wasn't a brilliant idea but it was better than the current situation.

"Fall back!" He shouted, and Clarisse and Sierra followed after him as he ran for the rope bridge.

"Grind you into sheep chow!" Polyphemus promised, following close behind, "a thousand curses on Nobody!" Sierra just knew that particular statement was going to come back to bite them someday.

"Faster!" Percy shouted, which Sierra found a little obvious. "Andy" Percy yelled, his sister having just set Annabeth down on the other side and looking utterly exhausted. Sierra couldn't blame her, Andy had a sword fighters body, but not Sierra's kind. She was lithe, strong muscles but on a thinner frame that made them less obvious and allowed her to quickly swipe and slash rather than the brute force Sierra and Clarisse used. "Your sword, the ropes!" Andy looked confused for a second, but then the cyclops rounded the hill behind them and she understood. Her sword must not have returned to her yet because instead of her own weapon she took Annabeth's knife and began to saw away at one rope.

She sliced through one as they reached the bridge, the Cyclops following after them and making the bridge swing around wildly like a jump rope. They reached the other side and Percy swung wildly, slicing through the second rope behind them as Clarisse and Sierra jumped desperately for the edge and solid ground.

"Failed!" Polyphemus yelled gleefully and Sierra turned to find him also on the solid earth. "Nobody failed!" That didn't make a lot of sense but Sierra got the point. She Clarisse and Grover ran at him, Andy too tired to move and guarding an unconscious and vulnerable Annabeth. The Cyclops swatted the three of them away like flies, leaving Percy alone.

Sierra didn't see all of it, she hit her head when she fell and her vision went blurry for a few seconds. But she understood the basic elements of what happened, and it was enough for her to wonder why exactly Percy needed a protector with the way he went after the cyclops.

"Percy!" Grover gasped, "how did you-" Sierra would have liked to know that too. The tip of his sword was poised over the Cyclops' eye while said monster was sprawled on his back.

"Please, noooo!" the Cyclops moaned, pitifully staring up at Percy. His nose was bleeding and a tear welled in the corner of his half-blind eye. "My sheepies need me. Only trying to protect my sheep!" He began to sob, and if Sierra hadn't spent her entire life faking emotions when necessary, she would have probably fallen for it, but she knew fake tears when she saw them.