chapter x

PERCY JACKSON WAS NOT AWARE THAT GIRLS WEARING GREEK ARMOR WERE THIS HEAVY. The discovery of this fact almost made him drop Sierra right into the water, deadly to her, home for him. He had almost passed out on impact with the ocean himself, but the very sudden realization that Sierra had not only hit harder, but would suffer greater for it had kept him just conscious enough to pull them both up.

Now, he was trying to control the water around his feet enough to keep the practical boulder weight of the girl in his arms above surface along with himself. Sierra wasn't slim by any standards, her arms were webbed with thick cords of muscle as was the majority of her body. Percy never would have guessed it, but considering he was trying to yank off plates of armor to lessen the weight, he was becoming a little too acquainted with Sierra's body.

The girl was still passed out cold, and water kept flowing into her mouth by accident before Percy had to pull it out again by force of will. 

"PERCY!" The scream was so loud and desperate he knew it could only belong to his sister. That girl really made some not so great decision sometimes. Screaming at the top of her lungs in an ocean full of nasty stuff that would love nothing more than to kill her, not exactly wise, but at least he knew she was in a safe enough place to be able to yell.

"Percy," this one was different, and though he was almost dead on the water from both the exhaustion of carrying Sierra and the still fresh impact with the water, he could tell easily it was closer, and that it was Annabeth. A hand grabbed Sierra from his grip and the girl was hauled aboard a small life raft a moment later. She groaned in pain but did little else to show any sign of life. Then Percy was towed aboard and dropped into a seat.

Annabeth was shaking him, he could feel it but couldn't really register why or the words she was saying beyond the fact he knew she was talking.

"Sleep," he muttered, and then passed out cold, slumping down in the boat to lay beside Sierra.

SIERRA WOKE TO A SON OF POSEIDON LAYING ON HER. Not an exaggeration, Percy had somehow managed in his sleep to shift himself over several inches so that his head was on the side of the boat and the majority of his torso was in Sierra's lap.