chapter v

ARTEMIS ALWAYS SEEMED TO THINK THE WORLD WAS ABOUT TO END. At least, that was how Sierra read her expression. She'd met her fair amount of cynics, hell she was one, but the goddess of the hunt took the cake for best 'I'm either going to die or kill something' expression. And she upheld it through everything. 

Sierra had been told more than once her eyes were scarier when they weren't ablaze because they had an almost dead quality to them. Clarisse had compared them to a horror movie jump scare. Where you think the unearthed corpse is dead and then boom, it's biting your head off. It greatly pleased Sierra to know she scared people like that on a daily basis. Still, the goddess was better than she could ever be.

Percy and she stood next to her on the cliff, watching the horizon. As the sun finally began to rise Artemis muttered, "about time. He's sooo lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes." The sun chariot had always confused Sierra. How on earth did Apollo have time to populate cabin seven at camp, drive the sun across the sky every single day, and yet still, without fail, keep the sun shining on camp at all times. Plus, the whole myths mixed with facts thing came into play then and Sierra's head started to hurt.

"It's not exactly as you think," Artemis said. Sierra wondered if the goddess could read minds, which led her to more unpleasant trains of thought. Sierra had the very sudden panicky moment where she imagined Phobos reading her mind. Gods that guy was so strange. On the one hand, she wanted to punch his lights out every time she saw him just to end the knee shaking fear he induced by just being near her. On the other hand, she kind of liked the guy, he was sarcastic and cruel sure, but Sierra wasn't much better.

"Oh, okay." Percy said. "So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—" There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon coupled with a blast of warmth.

"Don't look," Artemis advised. "Not until he parks." Sierra turned away with everyone else mortal on the cliffside. Well, everyone mostly mortal, she wasn't entirely sure how to class the hunters but they turned away too. The heat increased, and burned brighter, intensifying into a fiery presence that Sierra had a sinking feeling was shrinking the leather of her jacket. She swore to all the gods if Apollo ruined her favorite leather jacket, divinity be damned she was going to kill him.

Then it faded, and Sierra turned. The car was glowing. Well not actually glowing, but it looked like it was from the heat of the cherry red metal. It was a nice car, Sierra had to admit, but she'd never really gotten into cars the same way she enthused about motorbikes. Now if Apollo had driven up in a Ducati, she could have spent hours discussing it with him. But the Maserati, wasn't all that impressive to her beyond that it had melted the snow around it in a perfect circle. Leaving them standing on grass and their shoes damp with slush.