chapter xv

SIERRA DIDN'T SEE AT ALL WHAT SHE EXPECTED. Maybe it was because she already knew her fatal flaw, or maybe it was something else, but rather than seeing a vision of a possible future like Annabeth's, she saw a memory. A memory that wasn't hers.

He stood alone on the ship deck, watching a dark smudge of an island slowly near, focussing at a painfully slow rate. He wanted this journey over, wanted to be home, to be with the one he loved, but alas, his destination was still far off, and to reach it, he had to pass through the island and listen to the lure of the sirens.

"Odysseus!" One of the crew mates called, and he knew it was time, he nodded, sitting against the main mast of his ship, and allowed them to tie him tight as they sailed into the song. He strained against the ropes, pleading with his crew members to release him, to let him swim to his love, he could hear her, he wanted to go to her. They ignored his cries for help, he felt invisible, he felt like nobody, a feeling that would soon save his life.

The ship sailed through the straits, and they left the island behind, left the sirens on the beach, alone and betrayed. They cried for their parents, the ones who'd cursed them to a cruel existence and abandoned them. As the ship sailed by, their song ceased, the song built of a pain and suffering they no longer felt.

For them, failure was death, and it was with an odd happiness at the final release from their eternal torture, they dove into the waves and sank deep to the bottom. The water filled their lungs, and they sang one final note, before their bodies turned golden and dusted, floating away on the currents, finally free.

Three new ones appeared on the island in time to see their sisters die. They cried out in fear for their own failure, for they understood it would mean their demise. They hadn't spent centuries alone and pointless on the island yet, they didn't yet yearn for the release the others had gotten, and they vowed to never fail in their task. And the new sirens began to sing a song that would last millennia.

Reality snapped back into focus like a slingshot and Sierra gasped in shock at the sudden return of the waves and rocks around her, the siren's song still swirled around her, but it didn't take hold. Sierra didn't really know how she knew what to do, but somehow she knew exactly how to get rid of them. 

"Failure!" She shouted, but it didn't sound like her. It was her voice sure, but it echoed in different tones and the same wave of heat and fear from when the stymphalian birds had attacked echoed over the ocean. The sirens screeched in terror, and she watched as they stopped singing, running into one another in terror as their own eyes glowed with the same fire she knew hers held. She saw what they saw, the Queen Anne's Revenge sailing off into the distance, their failure pulling them towards the water, into the waves, and holding them under until they exploded into three golden clouds of dust, and silence graced the small cove.