chapter xxii

"HEY, WILDFIRE. DON'T MAKE ME SHAKE YOU SIERRA, I DON'T WANT TO GET PUNCHED." Sierra blinked her eyes open slowly, coming face to face with sea green eyes that looked so similar to the water she was surrounded by she almost expected to see a fish flutter by.

"Call me Wildfire again and you will," she said, sitting up to find she was hovering on her fish horse in place while everyone else had disembarked and was in the water.

"It's a nickname Sierra, it's a friends thing." Sierra didn't bother to correct him and say they weren't friends. Partly because her ankle still ached horribly, but mostly because she wasn't entirely sure if she wanted him to be wrong or not.

"Fine," she huffed, "then I'm accept the punches." Percy had the nerve to actually look offended, which Sierra ignored as she slipped off the hippocampus' back to join the rest of the crew in the water. As soon as the horse was free of her it disappeared into the waves, presumably running far away from the human pollution as fast as possible.

They all swam for the shore. Percy easily controlling the water and pushing them forwards as they moved, and Andy continuously trying and then cursing when she failed. Sierra didn't really know what that was about but even she could recognize that asking was probably a little mean.

When they reached the shore, none of the mortals really seemed to notice them. The mist blurred Tyson's single eye, Grover put back on his fake shoes and hat, and the fleece changed into a letterman's jacket that Sierra wore over her shoulders as it worked away the final aches of her injury. Their dripping wet state while fully clothed was either normal and Miami was a much weirder place than Sierra originally thought, or no one really cared because none of the mortals spared them a second glance.

"Andy?" Percy drew their attention to his sister, where she was staring out at the water, a haunted look on her face, eyes transfixed on a cliff face a little ways down the beach. She looked, almost afraid. "Hey," Percy gently put a hand on her back and she flinched away from him, blinking hard as if trying to refocus on him.

"Sorry," she said, still sounding a little dazed, "it's nothing, just," she turned back to the cliff for one final look before moving back into the crowd, all of them following. 

"June eighteenth! We've been away from camp ten days!" Annabeth said, staring down at a newspaper. 

"That's impossible," Clarisse argued, but they all knew it wasn't. The sea of monsters was different than the mortal world in many ways, the passage of time being one of them. It was the same as how time on Olympus or in the Underworld flowed differently.

"Thalia's tree must be almost dead," Grover wailed. "We have to get the Fleece back tonight."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Clarisse said, voice shaking as her shoulders pulled inwards in a clear show of defeat. "We're hundreds of miles away. No money. No ride. This is just like the Oracle said. It's your fault, Jackson! If you hadn't interfered-"