chapter ii

SIERRA KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THE GODS MEANT FOR HER RIDE TO BE. They were her father's charioteers after all, it was rather obvious. What she didn't expect was that she was meant to drive it. She'd been nervous to damage Clarisse's mother's car, and now, she was driving a war chariot. And to prove she had the worst luck ever, she'd avoided participating in the chariot races so she had absolutely no experience driving the colorful godly death boxes.

By the time she actually reached Westover hall, the chariot, was not looking good. The fire breathing horses were in a frenzy. The axel had broke clean down the middle. The roof was sagging in one corner where a support post had broken off. One of the four burning braziers in the chariot was coughing out black clouds of smoke and the fire had long since sputtered and died. The smoke was probably just the magic's sad attempt at relighting the fire despite their brief dip in a lake.

Sierra stumbled out of the wreckage coughing so hard she thought she might actually cough up a lung.

"Oh for gods sake," the nearby goddess stated, waving her hand over it. The chariot shimmered and then stood, entirely repaired. Which Sierra couldn't pinpoint the exact source of but was immensely grateful for. Especially when Phobos and Deimos appeared standing in it a moment later and studied it. Their smiles slowly faded when they found no damage.

"Remember sister," Phobos said, his wicked grin returning, "a favor, whenever we ask, be ready." He flicked the reins and the chariot went flying forwards straight off a nearby cliff and disappeared. Sierra hoped they crashed into the rocky ocean below, but she doubted it.

"Sierra?" She turned to find Percy standing there. If she hadn't been so shaken, both by the continued stream of 'he's dead' that had echoed in her mind the entire ride, and the seriously terrifying chariot ride, she probably would have studied him closer. Instead, she glared and her eyes lit up.

"You have some nerve Jackson," she growled, "you or any of you three idiots get killed it's on me. Not you, me. Screw the underworld I'd have to face my father, and you decide to charge a freaking monster like it's no big deal? I swear to the gods if it wouldn't get me killed, I'd strangle you!"

Percy just stood there staring blankly. Like she hadn't just threatened to strangle him. Sierra frowned, studying him a little closer. Usually she at least earned a sarcastic comment or a taunt when she threatened his life.

His eyes were red, and his cheeks were shimmering slightly from tear tracks. His hands were shaking too, not from the cold or even anger, but like he'd been clenching them tightly and blood flow was just returning.

"Percy?" She took a step forwards, and he seemed to barely focus on her enough. Then he started crying again and hugged her. Putting his arms around her waist and squeezed his eyes shut, pressing them tight into her shoulder as he began to shake harder. On instinct, Sierra hugged him back, putting one arm around him and the other against the back of his neck and he started to cry harder. "Percy," she softened her voice the best she could, it still came out sounding like a bite of bitter anger but there was an upset tone to it which was really the best she could do. She felt really freaking awkward considering the last time she hugged someone she'd been seven and it had been her mother pre-mental institution.