chapter xii

SIERRA NEEDED TO CALM DOWN. That was the key to having an advantage, knowing something your enemy didn't. It took her a very short amount of time and a quick run through of her known greek myths to come to the conclusion she had no clue who she was facing. Obviously she was a sorceress or a goddess, nothing but magic or a deity could weave a shroud over a consciousness as powerful as this woman's was. Strong enough to dull the war instincts of a child of Ares.

Sierra needed more information, she needed someone with an extensive knowledge of greek myths and quick wits. Luckily, she had one nearby, but she had no clue where Annaebeth was.

"Sierra?" Reyna's voice interrupted her deliberation and the little girl bounded in, "oh! You look amazing, C.C. is ready to see you now, your friend is ready too." Reyna was a god send, the little girl was so oblivious and so helpful.

"Ok," Sierra nodded and followed her back to the room they'd started in. Annabeth was already there and halfway through a conversation with C.C. She turned when Sierra entered and the daughter of Ares could see the visible shock in her cousin's eyes. Her eyes must have said it was an off limits topic because Annabeth didn't say anything. "Where's Percy?" Sierra asked.

"As I was just telling Annabeth here, he's having one of our treatments," Sierra was not satisfied with that answer but she just nodded, trying to tune out the screeching from the guinea pig cage and focus on how to get Annabeth's attention without getting C.C.'s. "And, Annabeth dear, I don't believe architecture is the right path for you, you have the makings of a sorceress, like me." Honestly, Sierra was too good sometimes.

Annabeth stepped back hesitantly, "a sorceress?"

"Yes, my dear," C.C. held up her hand and a flame appeared in her palm and played across her fingertips. "You as well Sierra," C.C. commented, "you already have a touch of magic in you, yes? I can feel it in your eyes," as if summoned forth by the mention of them, a slow heat began to build in Sierra's irises and she knew that flames had begun to sputter to life there. "Yes, there it is, children of Ares, so volatile. But you, Annabeth, my mother is Hecate, the goddess of magic. I know a daughter of Athena when I see one. We are not so different, you and I. We both seek knowledge. We both admire greatness. Neither of us needs to stand in the shadow of men.

"I-I don't understand." Annabeth stuttered, and Sierra was blinking furiously, trying to get the fire in her eyes to die out, but it was like C.C. was pulling them forward. They kept getting hotter, they never burned or hurt, no, the flames were just a tickle, warm and almost comforting, but they'd always been tied to her anger. Usually, her anger drew them out, now though, it was like their presence was drawing forwards her anger.

"Stay with me," C.C. was telling Annabeth, probably speaking to Sierra as well but she was a little busy with the building twin bonfires in her skull. "Study with me. You can join our staff, become sorceresses, learn to bend others to your wills. You will become immortal!"