chapter xiv

SOMETIMES, IN THE MIDDLE OF AN EXPERIENCE, YOU JUST KNOW IT'S GOING TO BECOME A PERFECT EXCUSE IN THE FUTURE. For example, in the midst of Annabeth, Percy, and Sierra's experience with the sirens, Sierra just knew, it was going to become the perfect response to a repetitively asked question and thought to herself: 'the next time someone asks me why i'm not a selfless hero type, this is why.'

Sierra woke up below to Percy muttering in his sleep about a gold coffin and chains. She muttered something about stupid Poseidon kids before shaking him awake. He sat up with a shout and it surprised her so bad she let out her own yelp and punched him in the arm, which turned his surprised noise into one like a wounded puppy as he grabbed his shoulder.

"What was that for?" He demanded, and Sierra shrugged getting to her feet.

"You were having a nightmare," she said, not bothering to explain the punch. She doubted Percy was actually satisfied with that answer but Annabeth entered the lower deck then with a panicked look on her face.

"What's wrong?" Sierra demanded, and the daughter of Athena shifted her grey eyes from Percy's still sleep hooded green eyes to Sierra's amber. With a start, Annabeth realized that unlike at the start of this quest, she didn't feel the need to rely on Percy to tell Sierra her messages. Sierra had a reputation at camp halfblood and though Annabeth would never admit it, the daughter of Ares kind of freaked her out. It was the smart reaction, something in her DNA that told her Sierra was the fiercer predator, but spending days with the girl, she didn't feel the same fight or flight response kick in when meeting her eyes. If anything, Annabeth wanted Sierra on deck with her because she knew the daughter of Ares could save her life without really thinking about it.

It also helped that all Annabeth had to say was, "we're approaching the land of the Siren's," and Sierra needed no further explanation, unlike Percy, who usually needed a five minute history lesson to understand any of their monstrous foes, and they tended to have a lot of those.

The three demigods climbed to the deck and their eyes latched onto the black smudge of the island in the distance.

"I want you to do me a favor," Annabeth said, "the Sirens, we'll be in range of their singing soon." Sierra automatically assumed the blonde was talking to Percy, from past experience expecting distrust from the daughter of Athena, but when Sierra turned to look at her Annabeth's eyes were focussed on her own.

It hit her why a second later, "No problem," Percy was quick assured her, "we can just stop up our ears. There's a big tub of candle wax below deck -"

"No," Sierra said, eyes still on Annabeth's, "you want to listen, don't you?" Annabeth nodded, and Percy's eyes widened.

"Why?" He demanded, and for someone who hadn't heard the stories, it probably did sound like an insane plan, Hades, it was insane either way, but Sierra understood it.