chapter viii

SIERRA WAS PRETTY BORED UNTIL THE TREES STARTING FALLING OVER. That is to say, Clarisse was down below in the belly of the ship, and Sierra was above decks, supposedly watching for monster attacks. The thing was, the ship wasn't exactly getting attacked and hadn't since they left camp.

Sierra had summoned the ship, she'd always been better at it than Clarisse, and now the dead soldiers were pushing the steam boat down the river. Sierra had offered to take the first watch while Clarisse slept, they'd managed to get through two shifts with no monsters. For most demigods on a quest that would have been fantastic, but Sierra was so bored out of her mind she almost wanted a monster to attack them.

Then, the tree fell over. Then the yelling reached her, "Clarisse!" She shouted, and a moment later her sister was on deck, sword drawn already looking around for the monster just as they rounded a bend and it came into their sights. A hydra, eight headed already, was facing off against a small group of demigods. Percy Jackson and Andy, twin bronze swords drawn, beside Annabeth Chase and Tyson the cyclops.

"There!" Clarisse yelled victoriously, "prepare the thirty-two pounder," several ghost soldiers snapped into action.

"They're too close m'lady," the captain argued

"Damn the heroes," Clarisse said before Sierra could argue, "full steam ahead!"

"Aye, m'lady," the captain replied.

"Fire at will captains," one of the ghosts said. Before Sierra could tell her sister not to be an idiot, a loud boom and a discharge rattled the ship as a celestial bronze cannonball shot towards the monster. The CSS Birmingham took a moment to recover from the shock, and Sierra almost threw up over the side. She was sincerely regretting coming on this quest, a journey to an ocean with a demigod whose literal only weakness was sea sickness. Fantastic.

"Losers," Clarisse called at the four on the shore as Sierra let herself fall to sitting on the deck. "But I suppose we have to rescue you, come aboard."