chapter xiv

IF THERE WAS ONE THING SIERRA HATED, IT WAS FEELING WEAK. Having to use Percy Jackson as a support to walk was what she considered weak. Then again, it also wasn't a show of strength that her hand, still pressed against her left side, was soaked in crimson blood from her ripped stitches. Sierra also hated ripping her stitches.

"Lee is gonna kill you," Percy informed her, and Sierra gritted her teeth. Thalia looked back at her again and Sierra nodded as Percy tightened his grip around her waist and she winced again.

Percy tried his best to be gentle as he threw her into the van. She knew that, but she still said some very colorful things in Ancient Greek that were more than a little unkind to the son of the sea god. Percy tried to act unaffected but he chose to let Bianca sit in the back with her.

Sierra didn't see the helicopter. She was too busy trying not to let her vision blur from blood loss in the back of the van. Because of course, the stitches couldn't just rip because she pulled at them. No. Sierra got her stitches ripped when invulnerable lion claws ripped open her stomach and took the strings with them. Normally she doubted the lion could have gotten that hit in. But she wasn't moving how she normally would thanks to the stitches and her preference to avoid ripping them. She was sincerely regretting joining capture the flag now.

Sierra did hear the conversation happening up at the front of the van about the helicopter though.

"They know the van," Percy said. "We have to ditch it."

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said, hope shining in his voice. Ah to be young again and have hope, Sierra almost missed the foolish concept.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy pointed out. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoe said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid." Didn't Sierra know it.

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

"I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

Thalia pleaded to her father. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?" But the sky stayed gray and clouded. No darkening or rush of electricity from above.

"There!" Bianca said. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoe said.

"Trust me," Bianca said.

Zoe shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. 

Bianca helped Sierra out of the van but that was as far she allowed the hunter to carry her. She tried to walk on her own, fell into Percy, and he looped an arm around her waist to help her.