chapter vi

SIERRA WAS ALMOST ASLEEP WHEN THE DEMON PIGEONS CAME FOR THEIR VENGEANCE. She'd been awake so long, seeing as she'd taken at least half Sidney's shift, she was almost falling over as she walked the perimeter again. She was just cresting half blood hill for what felt like the millionth time when the screaming reached her.

She glanced over the valley, not expecting to see much when her eyes landed on the chariot races. A black cloud had consumed the stands where they were taking place. If she was being honest, she just stood and stared in awe for several seconds before thinking to do anything. The cloud surged forward, thrumming with an odd energy as it slowly condensed around the campers.

Sierra's mind snapped to the present and she took off down the hill. She was almost run over by Percy, Annabeth, Andy, and Tyson on her way there, but she didn't pay much attention. In her mind it was typical that Percy would run away from the fight.

Then she plunged into the mayhem. Instantly the black cloud closed around her, and she was able to see just enough within it to realize that it was a cloud, but a flock of birds. Pitch black pigeons with gleaming metal beaks and dark demonic eyes. Sierra's monster encyclopedia knowledge didn't extend very far. She knew the creatures she had fought and killed but didn't typically bother with paying attention in monster class. These though, she knew these. Stymphalian birds, they guarded her father's temple and she knew without a doubt their deadliness was high simply by that fact.

These things had always been one of the few monsters she could have gone without fighting in her life. They had a tendency to eat human flesh until all that was left of the person was their skeleton. Sierra drew her sword and swung it in a wide arc. The birds didn't even bother trying to dodge and her sword sliced several of the little demons in half, but they were replaced just as fast. It was obvious when they realized she was human, because suddenly a hundred metal beaks were digging their way into her skin. One went for her eye and she sliced it in half just as its beak was about to impale its way into her skull. She knew her eyes were ablaze from the way the metal turned red hot before falling to the ground.

The screaming of kids without weapons echoed around her through the thick mob, joined by the gleeful and dying squawks of the birds as they dove for their meal and occasionally died for it. Sierra was kicking as many away as she managed to slice at with her sword but they just kept coming.

"Come on!" She shouted in anger, and let out an annoyed shout as she swiped her blade in a wide arc around her body. The birds curved around her, several flying away. A small barrier between her body and the creatures formed, empty air they refused to occupy. As she moved, they flew away, some even flying out of the mob and off away from Long Island.

She frowned, that was odd, what could be? Then it hit her, her eyes, blazing infernos in her skull now were hot enough that the birds wouldn't come near her. But it felt like more than that, it felt like the air around her was tainted with heat and terror. Like fear was seeping from her bones and infecting the air like a virus no one wanted to catch.