chapter xxiii

SIERRA UNDERSTOOD ANGER. She understood it probably better than most people and she had seen it play out in many different ways. Clarisse for example, didn't fight to her full ability unless she was pissed off beyond reason and seeing in varying shades of red. Sierra on the other hand, was too uncontrolled when fighting angry, she got messy and loose and often found it more difficult to defeat her enemies. Percy was a different case all together, it depended on what he was angry about. If he was angry on behalf of his friends, he fought like a cyclone, if he was angry on behalf of himself he never seemed to focus.

Andy was just downright terrifying. Honest to gods, for someone who always seemed to remain annoyingly chipper in even the worst situations, threatening her brother seemed to have snapped something in the daughter of Poseidon and she looked ready to kill everyone without losing a second of sleep over the blatant murder.

"One on one," she ground out, and Sierra couldn't decide if it was her inability to filter, or just her need to punch Luke's teeth in that were dictating her mind. "What are you afraid of?" That was definitely the lack of filter, why else would she antagonize a crazy person?

Then things got more complicated. The cabin door burst open, and a pure black pegasus stampeded through before taking flight and running off into the distance. Followed quickly by Agrius, and a second fully dark winged steed, this ones reins clutched tightly in his hand even as the horse tried desperately to escape and run after its friend.

"Sir!" Agrius called, dodging a pegasus hoof. "Your steed is ready!"

"And the other one is now loose!" Luke shouted at the monster, and Agrius actually looked down at his feet like a scolded child. For some reason, the first pegasus wasn't fleeing, it was circling the ship in wide arcs, as if waiting for something. "I told you last summer, Andy," Luke continued, "you can't bait me into a fight."

"And you keep avoiding one," Sierra noticed. "Honestly Luke, I never knew you were so afraid to fight a girl." It was a low blow and he damn well knew it. Luke had always been frustrated by Sierra's continuous ease at besting him, especially because Ares cabin was so competitive and took every opportunity to tease him about 'losing to a little girl.' The little part was valid considering Sierra wasn't the oldest camper by far, but the girl part always gained her siblings a broken something, usually bones.

"I'll kill you quickly," he decided, and raised his weapon. Backbiter was a foot longer than Andy's own sword. The blade shown with evil light at the seam where steel met celestial bronze. Mortal and god combined, but it was too much like demigods. Sometimes the opposing forces colliding created a hero, something good and light. But other times, it was dangerous, and it all depended who wielded the power. In this case, in Luke's hands, it was undeniably cruel and willing to murder. One of Luke's monsters tossed him a shield and Luke grinned wickedly.

"Luke," Annabeth said, "at least give her a shield."

"Sorry, Annabeth," he said. "You bring your own equipment to this party." Oddly enough Sierra almost wished it was Percy fighting. Sierra and Luke had always been good opponents because of the sheer opposition to their fighting styles. Sierra spent most of her time on the defensive, studying and waiting for an opportunity before taking a single offensive action. Luke hacked and sliced in random techniques until something stuck. Both worked fine, especially with the difference in preferred weapon and body type, but against one another it had always been an interesting match up. Percy at least had the added benefit of a few lessons from Sierra in her own style, Sierra had never really seen Andy fight, and it made her nervous to have such an unknown variable.

The weight of her necklace was back though, and she knew one wrong move, one indication Luke was going to beat Andy and rules of fair play be damned she'd kill Luke before he could get in another strike.

Luke lunged, getting in a slice against Andy's ribs that she danced away from. Light on her feet eyes sharp and focussed, she watched. Luke swung again and Andy knelt, swinging her own blade under Luke's outreached arms and forming a deep gash on his side. She stepped back to her feet in a smooth movement, spinning her sword hilt once around her hand to regain her grip as she watch him look down at the wound in confusion for a moment. When his eyes lifted again, Sierra knew Andy Jackson was about to die.

The rage was palpable in the air as he struck out at her, over, and over. Forcing her back, she raised her blade for defense and he knocked it aside, kicking her legs out from under her, and Andy fell to the deck. Luke looked down at her with mocking pity.

"Fair try Andy," he said. "I won't kill you, I have use for you. But your brother," he turned, and without prompting a demigod stepped out from the crowd of monsters, sword already raised to attack Percy.

Sierra knew this wasn't a random action, it was calculated. Luke wasn't actually going to kill Percy, it wasn't the strategic move here. From what little Sierra knew of the great prophecy from Annabeth, it's subject had to reach 16 for it to come to fruition. Andy was nearly a full year younger than Percy, and that meant an extra year for Kronos to wait to destroy Olympus. It was fair to say the titan lord likely wasn't a patient man. He'd want his rein to come as soon as possible, and that was with Percy. This was a test, to see how Andy would react, if there was any possible way to get her on their side should Percy become too unreliable.

She failed dramatically.

{a/n}

next chapter is Andy's perspective

 and gives a little more background on

 her and her relationship with Percy.

{a/n 2}

no joke posting this 

at 2 am and I have

 a zoom call at nine

insomnia is a bitch.