𝕗𝕠𝕦𝕣

unexpected spectator

        "what is it, daichi?" you asked. the captain had managed to corner you after class, with suga on your other side. you couldn't even run if you wanted to.

        "we have a practice match," he said, looking over at you. "with aoba johsai."

        you stopped in your tracks. they what?

        to put it plainly, karasuno wasn't exactly the best school in terms of volleyball. the team was average, at best. so why would a school known for its volleyball club have a practice match with karasuno?

        you had a sneaking suspicion this had something to do with tooru.

        "if this is just something you're saying to get me to come back - "

        "it's not!" suga exclaimed. "ask takeda - sensei!"

        "huh?" you asked. "sensei's begging actually worked for once?"

        "well, it's only under one condition." daichi looked over at suga.

        "kageyama has to play setter the entire game," suga explained.

        "i knew it." you knew tooru would have done something like this.

        "how'd you know?" daichi asked.

        you sighed. this was going to take a lot of explaining to do. "you know how tobio was my kouhai at kitagawa daiichi?"

        the duo nodded their heads.

        "and you know all that 'king of the court' stuff?"

        "yeah," suga mused. "tsukishima mentioned it in the first - years three - on - three."

        "most of the people from kitagawa daiichi transfer straight over to aoba johsai. they're connected, in a way. so all of tobio's teammates, and mine as well, are on the volleyball team. nobody on the team really liked him. . ." you trailed off, remembering how tooru had almost hit tobio.

        "i understand now," daichi said. "they want kageyama to play setter because of personal grudges."

        "probably," you hummed absentmindedly. "anyway, see you later." you waved as you walked off.

        "huh? wait up, [name]!" they ran after you.

        "the reason we came here was to invite you to watch the game," suga revealed.

        you mulled over the thought for a second. you really wanted to see your old teammates and tobio in action. you also wanted to see the first - year middle blocker, tsukishima, to see if he was good at blocking or just a tall person on the team.