Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Amaan

It's been three days since the incident in Laylah's room. I have been trying to keep my distance from her and have refrained from making conversation with her. It's been hard but I need to do this for myself.

Laylah is one of those innocent girls who wouldn't even know when you've fallen in love with them and it wouldn't even be her fault and I can't risk getting involved with her. "Tomorrow I'm starting uni, you've gotten a place on the course too, I'm sorry I didn't want it to be like that for you but my brother wont have it any other way" She says to me looking over her book.

I've been trying to read a lot so that I don't have to make conversation with her and giving her the impression that I don't want to be disturbed. It was working until now. "No, that's fine" I reply, not looking up from the book. "So, you are ready to go back to uni?" She asks, closing her book and crossing her legs sitting Indian style on the sofa. I guess I'll have to give her some attention and speak to her. "erm, I don't think much has changed since well a few years back" I say closing my book.

"How were you like when you were at uni, were you a geek, one of the popular guys or a player" She asks with a smile. "Erm, just a normal guy, Yusuf was one of my best friends" I reply back.

"Hmm, I think you should take the rest of the day off and get yourself ready for uni, maybe buy some stationery etc, familiarise yourself with some food" she says standing up. "Really! You sure you don't need me" I ask her surprised. "Yea its almost dinner time and I'm going to be home, Arfan is here so I'll be fine" She says and smiles at me walking out the door.

Well, that was a bit weird I think to myself. Why is she being so nice to me? Is she setting me up for something else? I guess I'll just check with Umer to be on the safe side.

The following day I wake up early, get in a little workout and have a shower. "What do people wear to uni again" I say to myself as I dry my hair. "She was right maybe I should have done some research". I pull out a plain black T-shirt and some dark blue denim jeans. People still wear jeans to uni right? You can't go wrong with jeans, I think. I det dressed, style my hair, and jump into my car.

I walk into Mansha palace and say my salaam to Arfan. I look around but no sign of Laylah. "Ali Baba, where is Laylah?" I ask him confused. "Beta she is upstairs, I tried to talk to her, but she wasn't listening maybe you can make her understand, she is refusing to go to university today. I would have told Master Mansha but she told him she would go and changed her mind after he left for office" he informs me. "Why?" I askn but dont wait for an answer, as I start climbing the stairs heading towards her room.

"Laylah?" I knock on the door but there is no answer. "Laylah, you decent? I'm coming in" I say and push the door open and walk in. I walk around her room but there is no sign of her. I knock on the bathroom door but there is no answer. I open the door to find it empty.

I walk round and turn into a huge walk in wardrobe. When I say huge, I mean huge. Its bigger than my whole flat. I know I said the same thing for everything I see here but dayum, if someone told me there was a wardrobe this big I would never believe them.

There in the middle of the huge room sat Laylah on the floor, legs bent, head on knees and arms wrapped around her legs. "Laylah, what's wrong" I ask sitting down beside her. "I don't think I want to go to uni anymore, I'm not ready." She says not picking her head up. "Hey, look at me", I touch her arms. "You're going to uni, and you're going to do this course and you're going to do great, so lets go" I say standing up. She looks at me and take a long deep breath before saying "What if." "No ifs, and no buts, I'm going and so are you." I say looking at her. "People can be horrible" She says looking up at me with a sad face. I know princess but you cant keep yourself locked up because some sick bastard acted like a sociopath, I think to myself and smile at her.