28

I wiped away the beads of sweat on my forehead as I panted. My heart was racing in my chest, and my lungs felt like they were giving out on me.

"Go drink some water," Titan ordered, causing a frown to form on Junior's face.

"It's not time for a break," Junior said as I took off my boxing gloves. When Uncle Rico said that I'd start training soon, I didn't think that he meant that same day.

Titan argued, "Look at him, bro, he's tired. You can see it in his face."

"Oh yeah?" Junior asked. "Being tired while someone tries to kill him is gonna get him killed."

"I'll be right back," I promised as I held my chest. I was beginning to feel lightheaded. "My lungs feel tight. I really need a break."

Junior sighed before fanning me off. "That's it for the night," Junior said. "We'll swing by in two days to start gun training."

"Okay," I nodded. "Thank you, the both of you."

Titan nodded with a faint smile, but Junior only gave an irritated nod.

"Jackson and Miles will be here tomorrow morning," Titan informed.

For certainty, I questioned, "Those are the names of my bodyguards?"

"Yeah," Titan and Junior said in unison before leaving the gym room. I followed behind them but split up with them when I went to the kitchen for water and they went to the living room to talk to their nephew and niece.

When I went to the living room, Titan and Junior were gone, and Nico and City were in the living room waiting on me.

"What the hell is going on?" Nico asked. "Our uncle's wouldn't tell us anything. Is it your mom? Is she after you?" I shook my head and flashed Sagacity a quick look before looking at Nico. "So my sister knows, but I don't. Okay. We weren't best friends for 5 years."

"You're right, I should've told you of all people," I admitted. "City, let me talk to your brother in private real quick."

She gave a humble nod before going upstairs to her room.

Later that night
Sagacity and I walked side by side in the still night. There was no sound of crickets nor birds chirping in the garden, which was very unusual. Not even the sound of wind blowing was audible. It was simply a silent, awkward night.

Breaking the silence, Sagacity questioned, "How did the conversation with Nico go?"

"Fine," I answered. "He's not upset or anything."

"Good," she nodded, and silence consumed us again. We exited the garden and came upon open land with large walls covered in vines and flowers.

I had never been this far on the property and didn't know where I was. Frankly, I thought the property ended after the garden.

I slightly frowned, "What is this?"

"A maze," she answered. "My brother, cousins, and I used to play here a lot until one day when we were playing tag. We had all split up with Aria being the person that had to find us. She found everyone except for me. After a long while of not being caught, I tried to leave so that I could see what was going on....if everyone was caught already, but I couldn't find my way out. When I did find away, it was already night time, but the way out that I found didn't lead me to where I had entered. Thankfully, my parents found me before morning, and neither my cousins, brother, nor me ever came here to play again."

She took my hand in hers and began walking towards one of the entrances of the maze, so I halted in my tracks and pulled her back to me. "We shouldn't go in there," I shook my head. "What if you don't remember the way out?"

Sagacity smiled, "That's exactly why we're going in there." She then tried to walk into the maze again, but I once again pulled her back. "When things get...complicated...it's hard to see your way out, but that doesn't mean you should give up or not approach your problems."

"Or you can avoid complication by not walking into it," I countered. There was no way I was walking through this maze, especially so late at night. "What if we get lost?"

"We won't," she shook her head, "but if we do, at least we'll be lost together, no?"

I chuckled, "As cute as it sounds, I'm not going in there, babe."

"Would you make me go in there alone?" Sagacity asked, and I quickly shook my head while frowning.

"Of course not," I answered.

She then released my hand and yelled, "Good," while running into the maze.

"Fuck," I mumbled under my breath before sighing and entering the maze as well.

Castle in the Cityजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें