59

The doorbell rang while I was breastfeeding Aurora, so Damien went to answer it. We weren't expecting any visitors-unless the gang was planning to just pop up today and surprise us. They were here all week long to spend time with the baby, Damien, and me. I didn't have a baby shower, so they had brought their gifts when they came by to visit.

Damien cleared his throat, and I looked up and smiled when I noticed my mother and grandmother. They were very supportive throughout the entire pregnancy and always made random visits to check up on me.

"Hey my lovelies," my mother smiled before placing a kiss to my forehead.

Grandmother then did the same, only she called me her "squash muffin" because that was one of her favorite types of muffins.

"We have someone that wants to see you," Mom said, and before I could ask who, my dad walked into my room and tucked his hands in his pockets. We hadn't talked since the argument we had when Damien and I told him I was pregnant. Nico still hadn't returned home either. He had his own place with Natalie. Mother told me that he would ask about my well-being whenever she visited, and even my grandmother admitted that he often checked up on me through her. However, he never attempted to see me nor talk to me in person. He didn't even call on the phone or send a text.

"Hi," he said flatly as he watched me.

In the same tone, I replied, "Hi."

My dad sighed and cleared his throat while looking at Damien and me. He then lightly smiled, "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Damien and I replied flatly.

"I know I was very hard on you both, but it's only because I wanted you two to have a different life than the one Sage and I had. When Sage was pregnant the first time, she threw school to the side, and when she was pregnant the second time, she had to throw work to the side. Her options were minimized, and I never wanted that for you, Sa," he said as he walked over to my bed and sat beside me. He looked down at Aurora and gave a gentle smile as she looked up at him. "Everything your mother and I have been through was all done to make sure Nico and you lived the best life we could give you." He looked up at Damien and said, "Me locking you away from the world wasn't to get back at you dating my daughter. I actually like you, Damien. In some ways, you remind me of myself. I just didn't want the darkness that was in me at one point to be in you as well. I was also worried about your psyche. You had recently figured out that your mother died before Sagacity got pregnant. I thought that would be overwhelming for you and that you'd chicken out on my daughter. I'm glad you didn't and that you both had each other. I should've been more open minded and supportive, but I just didn't want to see you two throw away everything you've worked for and everything my wife and I worked for. I can't take back the moments I've missed, but I can make new ones with you three, if you'd allow me to. Even if you don't want me around, I want you to know that I'm sorry."

Damien nodded, "I forgive you. I knew you were trying to keep your daughter's best interest in mind. I respect that, and I'd also like to thank you again for helping me out with my family situation."

My father nodded before looking at me, who was now burping Aurora. "I don't hate you, you know," I said as I gently tapped Aurora's back. "I just hate that you never listen to me. I know I'm still young, but you often treat me as if I'm still in elementary school. You get over protective of me as if I'm incapable of making decisions for myself. It makes me feel belittled and inferior, but I don't hate you. I can never hate you. I was sad that you didn't come around sooner, but I don't want to live in the past. I forgive you as well. I just you to be around your granddaughter more."

"Will do," my dad nodded, "and I'm sorry for making you feel this way. I am overprotective of you, and very controlling. I'll do better." He kissed my forehead and ruffled my hair, and I giggled in response. Aurora then burped, and my dad asked, "May I hold her?" I smiled while passing Aurora over to him and he looked down at her and smiled widely. "She's beautiful."

"Thanks," Damien and I said in unison.

Damien teased, "She gets it from me."

"Oh, hush," I chuckled as my parents and grandmother chuckled.

Damien then went into our invitation box and took out the final invitation for our wedding. As he handed it to my dad, he said, "We weren't sure if you'd want to come, but we made an invitation for you nonetheless."

As my dad took the invitation, he smiled, "I would love to. I'm proud of you both!"

Damien and I connected eyes and smiled in response.