43

Ashton and I walked side by side in silence to the cafeteria. We hadn't said much to each other since the kiss we shared last week. In fact, we often found ourselves simply staring at each other but not speaking. It was that awkward type of silence that didn't feel so awkward at the same time.

Usually at this point, Ashton would sit with his friends, and I'd sit with mine, but he continued walking with me today. I placed my bag down after saying hi to everyone, and he did the same before we went to grab lunch.

"Um, I was wondering if you...wanted to go on a date with me this Saturday," Ashton said nervously.

"What do you have in mind?" I asked as I handed the lunch lady my plate to put fries and chicken tenders on it. The food at the college was actually really good, and that meant a lot coming from a picky eater as myself.

Ashton shrugged, "I was thinking the movies and then a restaurant or diner to grab something to eat."

"Sounds fun," I nodded in agreement. "Sure."

"Okay," he smiled. "How does a horror movie sound- or would you prefer comedy or action?"

I lightly chuckled, "Horror is fine, but don't get surprised when I laugh at the death scenes."

He lightly chuckled and gave a gentle nod. He then said, "I'll check out the movie time on Friday, and we can formalize things then."

"Okay," I blushed a bit with a sweet smile.

Saturday that week

I adjusted the turtle neck sweater and smiled at myself in the mirror because I really liked how I looked today. I was comfortable and cute at the same time, a perfect combination in my eyes.

The sound of my phone ringing sent an excited chill running down my back. I quickly grabbed my phone but frowned when I noticed that the number was unsaved. I didn't know who could've been calling me from an unknown number, but I answered the call nonetheless.

"Hello?" my confused voice answered.

"City?" a raspy voice answered, causing my eyes to widely open. "It's me, Damien." In that very moment, I froze. I didn't know how to react. I was happy to hear from Damien, but I was also confused about what this meant for what I was feeling for Ashton. "You there?"

"Oh, sorry," I answered. "Hey, Damien. How are you?"

Damien answered, "Good. Your dad and my uncle are almost done taking care of the threat, so I'll be in town by the time you arrive back from school. I...just thought you'd wanna know. We haven't talked in months, I know, but your dad finally said I could contact you...so here I am..."

"It's nice to hear your voice, although it sounds a bit raspier," I smiled. "Maturing on me already?"

Damien chuckled, and the sound sent chills down my spine and heated my core. "Nothing you can't handle. Is everything good? How's college and shit?"

"Um...yeah," I answered. "I spent majority of the first semester locked up in my dorm instead of socializing though."

"Why?" Damien asked, his voice holding concern.

I answered, "I just wasn't in the mood to after you had to leave. I even distanced myself from the gang."

"Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. The last thing I wanted was you stressing over me," he replied in a sad tone. "Is everything going better now though?"

Timely, my phone began ringing, the caller being Ashton. I dismissed the call and answered Damien, "I guess you can say so. Um...will you be in contact with me more?"

"Yeah," he answered. "This is my temporary phone number, and your dad said I can call whomever I want whenever I want. I just gotta stay in hiding for three months or so for them to finalize everything. There's still no sight of my mom, so they wanna spend some extra time finding her and making sure she isn't a threat."

I smiled, "So you'll be back for good then?"

"Yeah," he answered.

"And...what would that mean for us?" I asked.

Damien reasoned, "Well, we're technically apart right now, but if you're not seeing anyone, I'd like to pick up where we left off or even start over if that's what you'd prefer."

"Um...I-" I was cut short by the sound of the door knocking, and I just had a feeling it would be Ashton. "Hold on," I said to Damien. I then exhaled a shaky breath as I opened the door.

"Hey," Ashton smiled, and I couldn't help but feel bad. He was really nice, and I actually liked him, but I also had feelings for Damien.

I muted Damien's and my end of the call as I greeted, "Hey, Ashton. Can you give me a few? I'm on a call right now."

"Sure," he nodded and waited outside my door. I closed it and let out another shaky breath as I unmuted my call.

"Hello?" I called out.

Damien answered, "I'm here. It...sounds like you moved on..."

"No!" I quickly blurted. "It's...complicated. Can we talk about this later though? I um...I have to go."

I expected him to get angry or get cold on me, but he calmly replied, "Okay," instead. "Later, Sagacity."

"Later, Damien," I said while closing my eyes and listening to his breathing. I hoped he'd say something to convince me to stay on the phone. I wanted him to say I love you or even don't go, but he only hung up instead, leaving me alone with nothing but confusion.

But right now, I had a date- one that could possibly put things into perspective for me or do absolutely nothing more than confuse me even more.