46

Ashton nodded, "So I was just a substitute for you."

"No," I shook my head. "I actually like you, Ashton. You're a s-"

"Sweet guy," he sighed as he stood from the table we were seated at. "That's my problem, I guess."

I shook my head, "That's not what I'm saying."

Ashton frowned, "Then what are you saying, Sagacity? We've been hanging out with each other for two months now and actually getting close. We kiss in a closet during a stupid game, we go on a date in which things end pretty well, you smile in my face and laugh at my jokes in class, we eat lunch together more, and then you ask to meet me here at this diner to tell me that this was all a mistake! Forgive me for being a bit confused and angry. I thought you were different than the other girls I've been with, but you just wanted to play with my feelings too, it seems."

I stood and said, "I was with someone a few months back. He had to move away for a while for some reasons that were out of our control, and he told me to move on if he didn't come back soon, so that's what I was trying to do."

"Yes, you've told me already," Ashton nodded. "And now he's back and it's bye bye to me."

"I just have a stronger connection with him," I said as I tucked my hands into the pockets of my pants. "I never wanted to hurt you or make you feel used. That was truly never my intention. If I had known he'd be back, I wouldn't try to pursue any other relationship. I'm sorry for wasting your time."

Ashton exhaled a slow breath before nodding, "Okay. I accept you're apology."

I hesitantly asked, "Are we okay then?"

"Yeah," he said with a faint nod. "We should stop hanging out though. Let's just stick to the days for our project. We only have a week left to turn it in anyways."

"Okay," I agreed with a simple nod, but I still felt bad about hurting his feelings. At least now, the weight I carried on my shoulders was lifted.

Later that day

I continued to highlight the reading I had. I was near the end of it, although the reading didn't need to be finished until next week. I wanted to move ahead of the class so that I could finish my essay faster and get more feedback on it from my teacher. I went to my mini fridge and grabbed a bottle of water before returning to bed to continue the reading. I was distracted, however, by the sound of my phone ringing. The caller ID was from the new cell Damien had to use for the time being, so I quickly answered it.

"Heyyy!" I answered cheerfully, but there was only silence on the other end of the line. "Hello?"

"Hey," Damien answered in a monotone voice.

I frowned, "You okay?"

"No, not really," he answered. "Are you busy right now."

I looked at my reading and then back at my phone and answered, "Not entirely. What's wrong?"

"I won't be coming back in three months anymore," he answered. "There's been some changes."

I felt my heart begin to slow down as the words sank into my head. I couldn't bare the thought of me getting all riled up about his turn for nothing. This would also mean that his life was still in danger, and I didn't want that for him.

I frowned, "When will you be back then?"

"Tomorrow," he answered, his voice still flat even though this was good news.

"Oh my gosh! Yes!" I squealed. "This is good news! Why aren't you happy?"

Damien sighed, "I'm happy that I'll get to see you soon- really, I am. I'll travel over to the school as soon as things are set up, so sometime next week. It's just that the reason why I get to come out of hiding is because my mother was found...dead. She's been dead for about a year now, that's why it was so hard for your father to find her. I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask her. Like I had things I wanted to get off my chest, but I won't get that opportunity anymore."

"Oh, Damien," I gasped, "I'm so sorry to hear that. I send my deepest condolences."

He breathed a long breath before replying, "Thanks, City."

Not really knowing how to comfort him, I asked, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Nah, nah. I'll be aight," he answered. "I just wanted to let you know that you'd be seeing me soon, that's all."

"Well, I'm glad to know, and I'm always here if you wanna talk, okay?" I warmly replied.

In a bit of a warmer tone, Damien answered, "Okay. I'll let you get whatever you need to get done now."

"No, it's okay, we can stay on the phone," I shook my head, worried that he'd start thinking about his mother's death if left alone. "I can do both. Just stay on the line and talk to me."

"Are you sure?" he asked, worried that he was interrupting something important.

While picking up my highlighter, I smiled, "Yes."