THE FIRST STAGE

Islam prescribes three stages/opportunities for ‘Talak’ (Divorce). If a man declares ‘Talak’ (Divorce) for the first time it is considered as First Stage. When the husband declares ‘Talak’ (Divorce) to his wife for the first time, if his wife is not pregnant and they wish to live together again they have to wait till she gets her third menses and before she gets purified from it. If his wife is pregnant and they wish to live together again they have to wait before she gives birth to the child. For those old women had passed the age of monthly courses, if their husband wished to live together, they should within 3 months. There is no other ceremony for it.

As soon as the husband declares ‘Talak’ (Divorce) to his wife for the first time, their marital relationship does not end. It is a temporary pause only. If did they not join together within the stipulated time can’t they join forever? It is not so. Even after a long time also they can join again. But, they have to remarry in Islamic way again. 

For your young women if you have any doubt and those who had passed the age of monthly courses, for them all the prescribed period is the same 3 months. For the pregnant women, until they deliver their burdens.

(Al-Quran 65:4)

Divorced women should wait for three menses periods. If they have faith in Allah and the Last Day, it is not lawful for them to hide what Allah has created in their wombs. If their husbands wish for reconciliation, they have the better right to take them back in that period.

(Al-Quran 2:228)