Emerald Eyes

Dan and I walked in silence down the beach front, his grip still as tight as it was when we left the apartment 10 minutes ago. My legs ached from trying to keep up with him, and every time I would fall behind he would yank me so I moved faster. The sea gently glided up and down the beach as we neared the bar. A beautiful sunset of oranges, yellows and pinks filled the evening sky, and - for a moment - I forgot about all the arguing. I forgot about all the fear. It was quiet. Silent. It was a peaceful silence. A faint muffle of music could be heard as a warm golden glow flowed onto the sand from the lanterns hanging above the bar.

"This is it here." I spoke quietly, waiting intently for Dan's reply to figure out what mood he's in.

"This isn't a bar. This isn't the music they listen to in bars. What bar have you seen that looks like this?" Dan snapped, his free hand flying in the air while he spoke.

"Daniel we are in Jamaica. Of course it's not like the bars you go to back home. It's a different culture." I answered, keeping calm but also being certain enough that I got my point across.

Dan scoffs loudly and shakes his head; looking at the sand moving under him and he walked. "You should've explained where we were going P. You can't expect me to just know these things."

I froze dead, using all the power in my body to yank my wrist away from Dan. Caught off guard by the sudden movement, he stumbles back and falls flat onto the sand. My hands are clenched into two tight fists next to my legs; my nails digging into my skin.

Just breathe Prim, just breathe. You can't make a scene now, not in front of all these people.

At this point, we are right outside the bar. Everybody was staring our direction with eager eyes as to what just happened. Jamaican karaoke music was the only sound breaking the silence between us and them. I shot myself around to face Dan, my back now to the bar. My skirt floated in the air with me, before landing gracefully at my thighs again. Dan is leant back on his elbows, his face locked on mine in pure disgust. I return the look back, my fists still locked by my legs, my blood boiling.

"How dare you have the guts to say that I didn't explain where we were going to you. I tried to explain to you. But you interrupted me. You yanked me while I was talking." I shouted through my teeth, the hum in the back of my throat making it very obvious I was hiding my anger. "Now get up. Daniel you're 24 years old, yet you act like a baby when you don't get your way. I bought you this trip to help you. You've been crashing rent free at my place for 2 months since you became unemployed, and have helped me in no way whatsoever. You haven't been down to help me at work, you haven't cleaned the house, you've done nothing. Now get up." I demanded, throwing out a firm hand for him to grab on to.

Of course, he didn't take my hand. He jumped up, frantically dusting the sand off his shirt and shorts, before turning his attention to the bar.

He stuck on his fake smile again, "Hi. Sorry about that. Just had a little slip. You can stop staring now. Back to your drinks and music!" He said sarcastically, while giving a little head nod and raising his hand as if to say 'Thank you for watching'. God I hate him.

Dan shot his evil eyes at me, scowling at me so tight he probably couldn't even see me. I just smiled, and began to walk away from him and into the bar. It didn't take Dan long to catch up to me - who was already stood at the bar - with his long strides.

"Order me a Pina Colada please, Dan." I asked politely, before giving a simple smile to the bar tender. He returned the smile, while he polished a glass in his hand with a small, white towel.

I began observing the bar. I enjoyed the overall vibe it gave off - it felt comfy. The warm lighting mixed with the tropical flowers everywhere, and the bar itself was made out of what I assume to be wood - I'm not a plant expert but it looks like wood, maybe bamboo. The roof of the bar was thatched with a dark brown straw; visibly aged by the sun beaming down on it all day. The furniture was basic: small candle lit tables of 2, 3 and 4 seats covered the sand. Slightly out of the bar on the beach were picnic benches. Nobody was occupying them, so I assume they would be used by people during the daytime.