6

This chapter is dedicated to Ladybe02.

                    ~TODUN~

It had been a while since I received the result for my JAMB and the school did not go through any post UTME system so all we did was an online screening.

I got down from the bike and placed the bag I was carrying on the floor carefully with the help of a passer-by. I paid the cyclist and carried the bag inside the house, with the  help of my mother.

She closed the door and we placed the bag on the mat which she had already spread on the ground. I unzipped the bag and took everything I bought  from it. The things included a few new clothes, second hand clothes, shoes, some other necessities and two kerosene stoves.

"Why do we have two of them." My Mum pointed to the kerosene stoves.

"This is more than what you budgetted for, isn't it?" She continued

"It isn't Mum, I want you to have this while I will take this to school." I placed one kerosene stove in-between her outstretched legs and moved the other one closer to myself.

"rara o, was da pa da ni o(No, you will return it)." She placed it at my front.

"Mum you don't have to reject it, I can't imagine you cooking with firewood in my absence. Please take this you can accept it as a birthday gift since I haven't gotten anyone for you before." I pleaded with her.

I could already see tears gathering in her eyes as she pulled me closer to herself and hugged me tight.

"Thank you my baby." She whispered into my ear.

I took the clothes one after the other and wore them on my nineteen year old body while my Mum either approved or disapproved them. After the joyful moment of showing off the things I bought, I went to a nearby shop and purchased a stove wool and kerosene for the stove. Preparing the meal that night wasn't as stressful as it used to be and I and my Mum chatted late into the night.

***

I went to the filling station earlier than I used to go. Bisi was not at the usual place and it was another co-worker that was doing the usual. So, I walked straight to the manager's office and knocked on the door.

After several knocks as usual, a girl of about my age came out of the room with her horrible make up. She greeted me hurriedly and left while I stepped into the room to perceive the faint smell of her perfume.

"Good morning sir, I bent down slightly."

"Morning." He replied me with a bright smile. "How was your night?" He asked still smiling.

"It was good sir."

"How about your mother too? My regards to, her. Tell her it has been a long time." He continued.

"She is fine sir, I will deliver your message to her sir." I replied in the same vein, amazed by the sudden change of attitude. He must think I came to resume as a full timer. Let him be deceiving himself, I smiled.

"So you have finally decided to do what is right, ehn?" He asked smiling again.

"No sir." The smile disappeared from his face  as it appeared with my reply.

"I am here to tell you that I will stop working here for now. My school resumes in few months time."

"So why are you telling me all that, you should have just stayed at home, instead you stopped my early morning exercise." He growled while I smiled at the realisation of what he meant by early morning exercise.