35

KUNLE

The thought of going back home to meet my Dad putting on his outworn pretence dampened my mood. I had already dropped Todun off earlier and now Akorede had gotten down to meet his driver who was already on standby at the junction that leads to their compound. It was already getting dark by the time I got to our street, electric lights emitting from bulbs dotted the night, suya sellers were still at their spots surrounded by their customers, bars looked colourful with their lights and men and women stood savouring the taste of their beers.

I honked loudly and severally when I got to the gate and instantly the smaller part of it was opened by the gate man who poked out his head. He looked very sleepy and exhausted at first but when he realised I was the one, his face dissolved into a smile.

"Small oga welcome o." He greeted me loudly, closed the small gate and opened the big gate for me to drive in while I nodded my hand in response, my hand clutching tight to the steering.

The fluorescent light that decorated the veranda, illuminated my Mum and sister standing beside each other with a smile on their faces. They waved to me as they watched me park the car properly and walked towards me when I was about alighting from the car. Immediately, Mum  pulled me into a warm embrace while Kemi stood watching all the drama she was displaying.

"Olowo ori mi, ale nobody." Mum muttered as she released me from the embrace. " Did you ride the car all the way here? She asked me and beckoned to the housemaid who were standing a few meters away to take my bags inside.

"Yes I did Mum." I answered her and winked at my sister.

"Okunrin meta abo, I trust you." She said comically and Kemi chuckled. "You must be very tired." She continued. "I already have your best meal of pounded Yam and Egusi soup ready." She concluded and put her hand around my neck even though she wasn't tall enough.

"Mum when did I tell you it is my best food." I asked trying hard to remember when I told her that.

"You are a complete Yoruba boy and that is our food." She squealed like a baby and led the way in, my sister stretched her hands forward for an embrace and I reciprocated it. With my hand around her shoulder and her hand on my back, we walked inside and listened to Mum as she dished out instruction to the maids. She came back to where I stood with my sister and pulled me to the dining room.

"Mummy na, don't I deserve to eat too?" Kemi asked whining like a baby.

"Haven't you eating today?" Mum asked her as she opened the warmer to serve me the pounded yam and soup.

"You didn't invite me to the table like you are doing to him now and I had an hectic day at work. The only thing he did was to drive oo." My sister grumbled walked to the table and took her sit beside me while my Mum did the same thing beside me too. They watched me keenly as I ate every morsel of it in my mouth and gulped down water in satisfaction and to help in digestion.

"Heyy, why are you looking at me as if there is something in the food?" I asked them amused by the way they watched my every move.

"Nothing but you look very thin as if you haven't eaten for years." My sister answered me and poured water into the cup I was drinking from.

"We don't cook most of the time and even when we do the food gets burnt." I complained and touched my stomach as I belched.

"We thank God for this strike since it has given you the opportunity to come home but I pray you resume soon." My sister replied.

"That is my issue with Nigerian schools but your father will never listen, he has turned his children to dice at the hand of politics." My Mum complained, adjusting the blouse she was putting on. She then stood up, went to the freezer and came back with a bottle of juice.