48

TÓDÙN

Turbulent times like this, remind me of times I found peace and assurance in the embrace of my mother. Her reassuring words kept me sane and made me have faith in every situation. But now, maybe it is because I have grown so big, bigger than when her hands and body securely wrapped around me or maybe it is because we are both involved in the situation  on ground and we both need the embrace and words from another person. My mind feels troubled about what the result of the DNA test will be, it is not as if I doubt my mum but we watch films where DNA results are switched, don't we?

Earlier in the morning, sounds of pastors preaching to their congregation echoed in distance. Rhythm of songs made me jiggle my body and sometimes I sang along. The new environment has made it impossible for I and my mum to go for any Sunday service since we are still studying the environment and don't even know if we will be staying there permanently. The echoes have stopped, the rhythms have disappeared and I am left to stare at the television which was playing a movie I could not even understand.

"Have  you heard from Kunle's mum today." My mum asked me, closing the door of the room behind her and  drawing my attention away from whatever was on my mind.  She just woke up from her afternoon nap and her eyes still held some elements of sleep. My mum and Kunle's mum have gotten along faster than I imagined. They call themselves everyday and talk about almost everything. Their closeness has even impeded me from confiding in my mum about how Kunle's dad has been cheating on his mum.

"I haven't ma." I replied and shifted on the chair to give her more room to sit beside me. She tied her wrapper tightly around her waist and instructed me to change the film to a Yoruba traditional films. I took the remote and started the search for a traditional film, where Alani will be in love with Alake but the covetousness king will eventually marry Alake and sell Alani into slavery. Don't call me wicked, I am just narrating what I know.

"I have been calling her number and she has not been picking it." She said as she called her number again.

"Maybe she is taking a nap just like you did or she might be busy." I replied and changed the channel of the television. I took my phone and sent a message to Kunle, it felt so strange because he is the one who usually sends messages first.

Vigorous honking from a car made me and my mother stop our discussion. We listened as the gateman opened the gate and greeted whosoever was behind the wheels.

"That must be your dad." My mum said adjusting the clothes she was putting on. I studied her for a bit and sighed. I just think it is not what I am thinking.

"He didn't say he will come today." I muttered getting off the chair.

"But that is his voice that replied the gateman." She replied. I went into the room to grab a yellow flowered blouse and wore it over my singlet to cover my cleavages that were on display. As I pulled it on, I could hear my dad exchanging  pleasantries with my mum, and a third voice that I could not really tell who it belonged to doing the same thing.

I stepped into the living room to meet my mum, trying to open a white envelope that must have been given to her by my dad. Is he trying to pay us off now? I asked myself as I made eye contact with Funsho who quickly looked away. We haven't talked since we got to Ibadan and if I thought getting to know I am his sister affected the little friendship we have, his mum's reaction when we went to their house further destroyed everything.

"Good afternoon sir." I greeted my dad with my kneels on the ground. You never know how you can offend the elders.

"Afternoon my dear." He replied and sat down in the chair with Funsho beside him. I said hi to Funsho who answered in the same vein and amazingly with a smile that almost swept me off my foot. What has made him smile this time?