43

TÓDÙN

As soon as I set my eyes on my Mum, I stared at Kunle feeling betrayed. I didn't need any explanation about how he got my Mum here, since he took my phone along with him when I and his Mum were discussing. I prayed in my mind for the floor to give way and swallow me as Kemi and her Mum looked at me expecting a reaction.

"Morountodun." With tears in her eyes, my Mum called my name again and moved closer to me. I stood up from the chair planning to bolt out of the door as I thought just a few minutes before she entered but the scrutiny eyes of Kunle's Mum, made my legs go jelly. I was also weakened by Mum who was looking miserable as she cried.

"You should talk to your Mum." Kunle's Mum said and signalled for me to sit on the chair. I looked at her then at Kunle who nodded his head for me to obey. Why is this particular guy just too stubborn.

"You can have your seat too." She said to my Mum, who slowly approached me. She sat down beside me and grabbed my hand. With an eye signal from Kunle's Mum, Kunle and his sister went inside. My Mum released her hold on my hand and used her wrapper to wipe the tears that were flowing down her eyes. I knew she had been crying since I left her the previous night and even though  I had several questions on my mind, the way her eyes looked and her hands were cold on mine got my mouth tied.

After sitting in that position for some times and we weren't saying anything, Kunle's Mum stood up and made to leave but my Mum stopped her.

"You don't have to go ma." My Mum said turning to look at her. Kunle's Mum, looked older than my Mum maybe that is why she wants her around for guidance.

"No, I have to, so that you guys can talk freely." Kunle's Mum answered looking at me.

"Thank you for accepting her here, I somehow have a peace of mind now." My mum appreciated her and I stared at  both of them expecting what was coming next.

"I used to be a housemaid in the Adekoya's family." My Mum started, looked at me and back at Kunle's Mum who was already making herself comfortable on the chair. "It was the madam of the house, Aunty Caro who brought me from the village to help her with her children most especially those times she went on business trips." She stopped and blew her nose into the handkerchief she removed from her purse.

"That means you know her so well? We are family friends too" Kunle's Mum asked. In one way or the other, the three roommates seem to have been connected through their parents. The parents, being friends have further strengthened the friendship between their children.

"Yes I do, we come from the same town and we sort of having blood ties." My Mum answered and sniffed before continuing what she was saying. "I couldn't really say when exactly I started to see my Oga but it was those times that Madam went on business trips for weeks." She stopped and looked at me while I stared back at her expecting her to continue talking. "I got pregnant for him and Madam discovered, she threatened to make me abort or kill me if I was adamant, that was why I ran."  She stopped and looked at me expecting my reaction but I kept mute and just watched her. My initial thought was to scream out every bitterness I had on her, even though I knew it was disrespectful but I wanted to let out all the anger that I felt. Now that she had told me the reason she chose to make me live that type of life, I felt powerless, empty and sorry for her.

"I was just trying to keep you save omo mi(my child). I could not bring myself to abort the pregnancy neither could I stay there and let her kill me." She explained and burst into tears with Kunle's mother pacifying her as her body shook vigorously. "I was only trying to protect you." She concluded.

"But you could have informed the man too." I said, it was still too early to refer to the man as my dad, even though that has been one of the things I had been yearning for.