16

This chapter is for Rereoluwa3354.  ENJOY     

                        ~TODUN~

"Are you sure you brought that phone home from school, you didn't try changing it anywhere and maybe you forgot to unplug it?" Remilekun asked me as she raised her box off the bed in search of my phone.

"Yes I did, I didn't even take my charger along let alone charging it." I replied her with tears gathering in my eyes.

My phone had gone missing after Kunle left the room earlier. I remember putting it on my bed and I even received a call on it while we all ate, only to now get to the room after his departure and I discovered that my pregnant phone was nowhere to be found.

"Nobody could have taken it na, or is it possible that..? I stopped midway, trying to think properly and consciously so as not to say the wrong thing.

"Are you trying to insinuate the possibilities of Kunle taking your phone?" Nife who had been laying on the bed all along and dialling my phone  tried putting words that I was thinking into my mouth making her  earn a sharp glare from Remilekun.

"It is possible o, there is nothing new under the sky." Tamilore who sat on her bed unconcerned caught in. " You know I have even been advising you to do away with that phone." She added and smiled.

"I don't get it, what exactly are you guys trying to say? So your conclusion now is that Kunle stole the phone abi? Remilekun asked angrily.

"You didn't hear me say that o." Nife threw her hands up in the air as a sign of denial.

"For Christ sake, you guys should be reasonable, what does he want to use her phone for? Remilekun said feeling frustrated. "That type of phone, it's not even an iPhone." She said sarcastically. "He had access to more than that in America and he isn't a thief, that I am very sure of." She drew in a sharp breath and beat her chest.

"Even so...? Remmy you haven't stayed with him for a day to be a good judge of his character and no matter where he is from, even United States has her own kleptos." Tamilore burst into laughter.

"I think I am with Tamilore on that." Nife joined the laughter while Remilekun got down from her bunk, wore her slippers and jammed the door behind her as she went outside, leaving me alone to search for the phone.

Where exactly did I drop it? Where was the last place I saw it? Those were the questions I asked myself as I checked my bag again. I removed my neatly laid bedspread and looked under the bed. With no result, I went to the corner where I normally leave my shoes and looked through them.

"Nife can you kindly help me to call the phone again?" I pleaded and drew in sharp breaths. The phone isn't a very good one but it is the only means of communication between my Mum and myself. Even the only thing that still connects me to Bose. I tried blocking the horrible thinking I had of them calling me and not able to reach me.

"I have been calling it since you asked me earlier and it has been switched off." Nife answered and got off the bed to check the kitchen. "Same thing here." Tamilore whom I thought wasn't concerned got down from her bed.

"Have you checked the bathroom? You might have used it as torch light there." Tamilore asked me as she walked towards Remilekun and Nife's bunk. "Have you checked the kitchen too?" She asked again.

"I have, it isn't there." I answered and sat down on the floor depressed. What could have made a phone I used less than an hour ago disappear without any trace? I didn't want to conclude that it was Kunle, my mind kept telling me it couldn't be him but he was the only stranger we had entertained in the house in the last twenty four hours.