45

TÓDÙN

Let us add one and one together, that means my dad was the one who came looking for me at our house and since he got my Mum's number, she told him where to meet her. Without waiting to hear anything anyone else had to say, I hurriedly closed the windows with the help of Kunle and bid goodbye to aunty Romoke who waved at us until our car disappeared from her sight.

I had so many questions in my mind about my Dad's arrival that I wanted to pour it all out to Kunle, but with what almost happened earlier, I felt so shy that I could hardly look at him in the face. The silence in the car was making it very awkward that I wished I took public transport instead. With the little thing I saw him do with the car stereo anytime I was in his car, I stretched my hands forward to turn the knob and he did so at the same time.

"Oh sorry." I said pulling my hand back as soon as I felt his warm palm against my hand.

"No problem. Tune it to any station you want." He answered and took his hand off the knob as well. I hesitated for a while before tuning the knob and the sound of a Christian song filled the car. Exactly what I needed to keep me sane.

"I wonder how your dad found out where you were?" Kunle said as he navigated towards the road that led to his house.

"He has been to our house, that was what that aunty was telling me the other time and she gave him my  mum's number." I answered him, remembering I had not told him anything since we got into the car.

"Okay." He answered as he honked for the door to be opened. "You don't need to avoid me because of what happened earlier."

I looked at him sharply as the last word left his mouth, how did he know I was planning to avoid him?

"You don't have to stop talking to me as well." He added as he took his hand off the steering. "I know finding your father is a huge one for you but I must admit that I feel very much attached to you already." He concluded while I turned my head to hide my blushing face. What he said was a music to my ear and a very good one at that, but I knew I could not let my guard down so soon. I glanced at him and looked at my palms that were tightly clasped together.

"I know with the arrival of your dad many things will change but I want you to know that I will always be there." He concluded and undid his seat belt.

"I..." I tried saying something my brain tried to make up but he cut me short by placing his fingers on my lips.

"You don't have to say anything now, just deal with your Dad's arrival." He replaced the finger on my lips with a  light peck on my forehead, making me feel giddy. I held on to the seatbelt until he sat back in his chair and opened the door at his side. I quickly undid my seatbelt too and got out of the car. Together, I and Kunle walked to the verander with the thought of what he said on my mind. Did he just ask me out or is that his way of telling me he likes me? I asked myself that question multiple times and didn't have any answer since I was not so experienced in that field. Maybe I will ask Funto for help but she will definitely go gaga. What was he even expecting me to say or is that the western way of saying "will you be my girlfriend?" I heaved a heavy sigh and stepped on the elevated verandah.

"Todun." Funsho called my name as we came face to face with him. He seemed not surprised to see Kunle but very surprised to see me.

"Good afternoon." I greeted him and faked a smile.

"Afternoon sis, it is good to see you here." He winked.

"Bros, how far na? You no even tell me say you..." Funsho said playfully and pointed to me, that informed me that he hasn't been told anything about me because if he already knew, I expected his reaction to be very different.