30

~TÓDÙN~

"Stop looking at me like that na." Funto said after we walked out of my hostel, with the bag that contained my sandal in her hand and the one that contained few of my clothes in between my two hands. Kunle and Funsho had dropped us off few metres away from my hostel so that I could pick my clothes.

"How am I looking at you?" I asked and smiled at the manner in which she pouted.

"You are looking at me as if I did something bad." She retorted and formed a puppy eyes. "Instead of looking at me like that, just ask me any questions that is on your mind." She added and I scoffed. I really had more than enough questions to ask her. To say I was surprised when she came home with him was an understatement because I was never aware of it and I never suspected it. Maybe Ahmed did, I thought she looked at me expecting what I had to say.

"So you got a boyfriend and you didn't inform me about it?" I asked her and looked ahead trying to sight a motorcycle.

"No he isn't my boyfriend." She denied him immediately even after he introduced her to Kunle as his girlfriend at his hostel and she smiled in response. Who exactly does she think she is deceiving? I scoffed.

"Really? He isn't your boyfriend?" She looked away with a smile. "You guys could have gobbled each other down your throat if not for our timely intervention." I added.

"Timely intervention?" She questioned.

"Yes, our presence in the room was timely." I shot back at her. "So now, I want to hear your confession."

"We only went on a friendly date."

"Yes boyfriend and girlfriend date, it is sure still a friendly date." I said and emphasised on the word friendly.

"Whatever." She smiled and waved to a motorcycle who raced past us, she grumbled at how long it was taking us go get a motorcycle and walked ahead.

"You better wait because I am not done with my questions." I fastened up my pace after her.

"Since when have you guys been seeing each other?" I asked her and grabbed her hand so she could wait

"Like a month now."

"Wow, and you didn't even deem it fit to tell me." I asked her suprised that things were going on behind my back.

"I wanted to be sure we knew what we were doing." She said trying to convince me and waved to another bike.

"Yes, a pregnancy will make it sure." I said playfully and earned a glare from her.

"You have known now, so you should give us your blessing." She churkled.

"Blessing indeed as if I look like your Mummy." I waved down a bike and smiled.

***

Dark cloud gathered in the sky as I and Funto prepared to leave Kunle's hostel. We had gone there earlier in the day because they invited us over. Don't get it twisted, I and Kunle have just been close friends and nothing more. We have learnt to know each other the more and I also help him to get more accustomed to the things here in Nigeria. Rumbling of thunder accompanied the rain as it poured down heavily. I walked to the window and raised it to see what was going on outside as it continued raining none stop. A feeling of nostalgia flowed in as I washed the rain flow in the drainage. I remembered the day the manager of where I used to work asked me to become a full time worker. I smiled at the thought of walking home in that same rain and in the muddy floor. The feeling of finding myself at home with my Mum made me feel more home sick. What will she be doing right now? Is the rain even falling there? I thought as I felt someone take the raised curtain from me.