chapter 61

"How could Dumbledore possibly think this is a good idea?" Sirius exclaimed he was pacing up and down the length of the kitchen. Severus Snape had come by with a message from Dumbledore, Snape would be teaching Harry Occlumency this semester. "I don't know why Dumbledore trusts him! It makes zero sense!"

"Sirius calm down!" I said from my place at the table.

"I will not! Harry will be spending time with a death eater!"

"An ex-death eater Sirius"

"Bullshit. For all, we know Snape is a double agent."

"I'm not happy about this either, but it seems as though Dumbledore won't be changing his mind about this."

"I'll change his mind."

"Sirius, I know Snape is a horrible choice to teach Harry, but don't you think it would be good for him to control his... visons"

"You're damn right he's a horrible choice, I mean come on Maude, you can't expect these lessons to go well for Harry."

"Sirius-"

"I know, I know, I can't do anything about it. It's just frustrating." Sirius collapsed in the chair next to mine.

"I'm sure if something goes wrong Harry will write to us, but there will truly be no convincing Dumbledore."

"I just can't help but worry" Sirius muttered, running his hands through his hair.

"I know, I worry too"

•••

The next morning the kids were preparing to return to school, while Molly was preparing to return home. The kids would be taking the Knight bus back to school accompanied by Tonks and Lupin.

We gathered around the front door, Molly bustling around, making sure everyone had their things.

"All ready?" Tonks asked. Everyone nodded. I pulled Harry into a quick hug.

"Make sure to write to us okay?" I asked when I pulled away.

"Of course" Harry reassured, smiling.

Sirius shoved a small package into Harry's hands and then also pulled him into a hug, whispering something in the boy's ear.

With that everyone was on their way out the door.

"What was that you gave to Harry?" I asked Sirius the minute we were alone.

"A late Christmas gift," He said, not offering any other explanation.

"Can I ask what it was?" I inquired.

"A mirror."

"A mirror?"

"Yes." He smirked. "It's enchanted, a way for him to contact me."

"Where did you get it?"

"It's a family heirloom, never had any use for it before now."

We fell into silence, I was enjoying the peace of an empty house, but I know Sirius is already missing the extra company.

"Would you like to get out of the house today? Go on a walk?" I asked, looking over to him.

"Yes," He responded, without hesitation. "Wher are we going?" He was already getting up from his chair.

"Excited are we?" I laughed. He ignored me.

Soon I was walking down the street a large black dog beside me, wagging his tail. The skies were cloudy and the air was cool. There were very few people out and Sirius and I had the streets mostly to ourselves.

I knew we shouldn't be out long, but I couldn't help wanting a few more minutes. I was about to tell Sirius we should turn around when he started bounding down the street. Headed for a small grassy park a couple of blocks away.

"Padfoot!" I called out, not wanting to use his real name in public. He stopped and turned around, coking his head as if to say 'what are you waiting for'.

"You know we should be getting back to the house." I said.

He barked loudly and continued on down the street.

I had no choice but to follow him.

I caught up with him a few moments later and we made our ways towards the wooded area.

The park only covered a block or two of land but had many trees and a small winding path, so when we reached the middle it appeared as we weren't in one of the biggest cities in England.

I glanced over to Sirius and was surprised to see him looking like himself.

"Sirius!" I exclaimed. "What if someone sees you?"

"Maude it's fine!" He placed his hand on my shoulders. "There's no one around."

"But-"

"Please, just a moment."

I couldn't bring myself to say no.

"Thank you" Sirius grinned, giving me a quick kiss. He pulled us down onto a nearby bench, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I set my head on his chest. "I miss being free." He said softly. "Just being able to walk in the streets without worry."

"I know, when this is all over I promise will find a way for you to have that. For us to have that."

"I want to buy a house, maybe near Remus's so I can annoy him whenever I please. We won't have to worry about death eaters or the order."

"Sounds pleasant. And I believe living near Remus may result in living near Tonks."

"Only if Remus gets over himself and accepts his feelings" Sirius smirked.

We fell into silence, Sirius and I enjoying the feeling of not hiding for once.

I heard soft voices from the other side of the park and quickly jumped to my feet, Sirius following suit. I looked at him, he transformed before I even had the chance to say something.

Moments later an elderly couple came around the bend in the path. I sighed in relief, they seemed unthreatening. But I knew we should still be going. The feeling of freedom was gone. I offered the couple a kind smile, and then quickly made my way back towards the road, Sirius close behind me.

I didn't notice how nervous I felt on the walk home until we reached Grimmauld Place and the feeling receded. The moment the front door shut Sirius returned to himself.

"Maude, wait a second," He said, as I started down the hall.

"Yeah?"

"I know you worry." He said quietly. "Thank you for today, it was good to feel free for a while." He grinned.

"Your welcome, it was worth the risk." I returned his smile.

He took a couple of steps towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I love you" Sirius whispers in my ear. His lips find mine, and his hands find the side of my face. And I am so in love.