chapter 19

I watched the quaffle slip through my hand for the second time in five minutes and groaned and sped after the Ravenclaw plater that had managed to snatch it. The crowd was muted and the rain was falling so thick I could hardly make out the other players. The game had been going for so long that people had started to leave. 

   "Ravenclaw scores! Gryffindor is slowly losing their grip on the lead." I heard the announcer's voice ring out across the field. There was a weak cheer from the remaining crowd and I groaned. The Ravenclaws had been our biggest rival this year, and so far we had beat them two out of the four times we had played them. 

   "I'll never hear the end of it if we lose this goddamn game," James muttered as we headed to the center for the face-off.  

   "We've got it," I responded, though I wasn't so sure. 

    As we started again I saw James making a run down the field, the quaffle in his hands. In the opposite direction the two seekers were flying straight upwards.  I stopped to watch and could just barely see a glint of gold above the field. A cheer went up from the crowd as they watched the two seekers go head to head. I think James may have scored but no one even noticed.

   Our seeker, Phoebe Dawson, was ahead by centimeters and I was sure she would beat the Ravenclaw. That was until a bludger came rushing out of the fog and smashed into her outstretched arm. I heard her cry out, she managed to stay on her broom, but the Ravenclaw seeker managed to pull ahead and grasp the snitch. 

   I could make out the Ravenclaw's cheering and much louder was James who was a few feet away from me, swearing.

   I lowered to the ground slowly, the rest of the Gryffindors close behind me. James landed hard and stormed off without shaking the Ravenclaw's hands. I saw him push past the Marauders, Marlene, and Lily who were waiting by the gates of the field. 

   After shaking hands with Madam Hooch and the Ravenclaws I made my way towards the dressing room. 

   "We'll be up in a while," I told my friends, who were still waiting by the gate. "You guys' minds well head up." 

   "That wasn't that bad," Peter tried to convince me.

   "Yes. It was." I said. 

   "You good?" Sirius bumped my arm.

  "Fine." I muttered. "James is another story though."

   "Tell him to stop being an ass," Lily grumbled.

   "I'm not sure that would go over very well," Remus remarked.

   "Probably not," Marlene laughed dryly.

   "Tell him anyway." Lily insisted. 

   "I'll leave that to you Lils," I said, before ducking into the dressing room. 

   No one was speaking inside, except Madam Pomfrey who was examining Phoebe's arm. I made my way straight to the showers and turned the hot water on all the way. When I finally stepped out, most of the team, including James, had already left. I packed up my stuff and made my way back out and towards the castle. The long, quiet walk unfortunately left me with way too much time to rethink every little tiny mistake I had made during the game. 

   I slipped into the portrait hole and it was just as quiet in the common room as it had been in the dressing room. I spotted Peter on his way up the stairs, Marlene in the corner doing homework, Remus in a chair with a book, and Sirius sprawled across the couch. James and Lily were nowhere to be seen, so I assumed they were in their dorm. 

   Sirius offered a small wave and I tumbled onto the couch next to him.

   "That was the shittiest game I've ever played," I groaned.