chapter 27

"And Gryffindor wins the quidditch cup!" The stands erupted into cheers and our team flew a victory lap around the field, hoisting the cup in the air. I felt tears prick my eyes, but they were accompanied by a smile so large it hurt. I looked over to James whose grin matched mine. James inclined his head towards the stands and we flew over to our friends who were sitting in the front row and yelling at the top of their lungs.

   "That was badass!" Sirius exclaimed. I leaned over into the stands and pressed my lips against his, I didn't care that the whole school was watching.

   "Thanks," I said pulling away. He grinned at me as James and I flew back down to join our team. As we landed James forced us into a very sweaty group hug, but even the stench of 6 other players couldn't ruin my mood.

    "Woo! Woo! Woooo!" I cheered as we broke apart. The crowd was still roaring.

    When we headed down to the locker room we found Professor McGonagall waiting for us. James dropped his broom and tackled the older witch in a hug. I heard McGonagall mutter something about a student hugging a teacher being completely inappropriate, but I also saw the massive smile on her face. On any other day, I wouldn't have done this, but this was my last quidditch game, so I went over and joined the hug. McGonagall pulled away and smiled at us.

   "You two played amazingly." She said, peering over her glasses.

   "Thanks, Minnie!" James exclaimed. She just smiled at the nickname and walked away to congratulate the rest of the team.

   The party in the common room that night may have been the craziest one yet. The Marauders had nicked some firewhiskey from the kitchens and I'm pretty sure every student above the fifth year was at least a little tipsy. I danced with Sirius all night, except for the one dance I shared with Marlene and Lily. The seven of us were the last in the common room, and Lily and James crashed on the couch, not even bothering to head back to their dorm this late at night.

•••

   Question 50: What is Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration? I looked down at the last question, on my last N.E.W.T. I definitely know this. After staring at the question for a solid minute it came to me. I quickly wrote it on my parchment and checked over my answers. After I was confident that I had at least passed, I rolled up my parchment and turned it to Professor McGonagall, who gave me a small smile before I exited the classroom.

    It felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulder as I turned my back on my last Hogwarts exam, ever. I noticed Lily sitting on a bench down the hall, she was the only person who had finished before me.

   I dropped down next  to her, "How do you think you did?"

   "I'm sure I passed all my exams, but other than that I have no clue how I actually scored," She shrugged.

   "Yeah me too," I said. "It's crazy there's been so much lead up to these tests and now we're just done. I mean it feels great, but it also feels like the end of something big."

   "Yeah I know what you mean, it seems almost sad." Our nostalgic mood didn't last long because soon the four Marauders came running out of the room whooping and cheering about how they'd never have to take another test again. About five minutes later Marlene joined us in the hall and we headed back to our common room.

   "Only a week left guys!" Marlene said.

   "What are we going to do for a week with no classes?" Peter asked.

   "Just enjoy it," I said, still feeling a little nostalgic.

   "Yeah, a week isn't very long, it'll be over before we know it," Lily remarked.