chapter 9

The common room lacked it's usual hustle and bustle, as most of the Gryffindors had gone home for the holidays, and my friends and I were piled on the couches by the fire. Lily and I had placed ourselves as far away from Sirius and James as possible. Remus was stuck in the middle, his eyes darted back and forth between all of us.

    This was going to be an awkward Christmas Eve.

    "Sooo . . ." Remus trailed off.

    "Yes Moony?" Sirius asked.

    "Um, Lily?" James asked abruptly. All of our gazes snapped to him. "Could we uh... talk?"

    To my surprise, Lily nodded at him, they vacated their spots on the couches and slipped out the portrait hole.

    "I can't deal with all these feelings" Remus muttered, and then he was gone too.

    Sirius pushed himself out of his armchair and dropped down on the couch next to me. "So what do you think Lily and James are up to?" I asked.

    Sirius smirked. "Violently making out probably. "

    I laughed and relaxed into the couch.

    "I'm serious," He grinned.

    "You're Sirius?" I faked a surprised look. "No way. I don't believe you," I shook my head.

    "Oh? Think you're funny do you?" Sirius raised his eyebrows and leaned towards me.

    "I do, actually."

    "Hmm," he grinned and bumped me with his elbow.

•••

    I heard the creak of the portrait hole and turned to see Lily, who was blushing bright red, and James who had a large grin on his face.

    "Merlin's beard! It finally happened!" Sirius exclaimed, then ran over to James and Lily and embraced them. The new couple turned an even deeper shade of red as Sirius started dancing around them. "Come on guys celebrate with me!" he said. James joined right in and pulled Lily with him.

    At this moment Remus walked back into the room and started laughing at us. "I'm assuming this means James and Lily are together now?" He questioned.

    "Yes!" Sirius answered, "And Moony you owe me 5 galleons!"

    Remus just laughed.

    After everyone had calmed down we settled back down into the couches, a lot closer together this time. Sirius was sitting next to me, so close that our legs were touching and I could feel the heat coming from his body. On the other side of us were Remus, James and Lily.

    "So, Merry Christmas Eve, guys," James said with a smug grin.

    "Anyone fancy a game of chess?" Remus asked.

    In moments the black and white board was pulled out along with two sets of talkative chess pieces. I was about to take Remus up on his offer when Lily grabbed my hand and Sirius beat me to the board.

     "Do you believe it?" Lily whispered to me.

    "You and James?" I asked.

    "Shhh!" Lily exclaimed.

    "Oh, he's too invested in chess to listen to us," I laughed. "And yes, I believe it."

   "I hardly do," Lily smiled softly.

   "You seem happy."

   "I am," She responded.

    "Good," I squeezed her hand.