chapter 25

"Maude, have you seen my blue sweater?" Marlene asked, she was standing over her half-full trunk and looking towards me.

    "I think I saw it in the bathroom earlier" I responded.

    The two of us were packing for the Easter holidays. I had invited all six of my friends to stay with me for the time we had off, but only Lily, James, and Sirius were able to come. The others were going home to visit their families.

    I glanced down at my watch, we had thirty minutes before the train left for Kings Cross. Marlene and I threw a couple more things in our trunks before lugging them down the stairs and into the common room. Lily and the boys were seated around the fire waiting for us.

    "Ok, everyone ready to go?" Lily asked, getting up from her spot next to James.

    "Yep," Remus and Peter said at the same time, as they moved to pick up their trunks.

    "Wingardium Leviosa" I heard Sirius mutter under his breath and all of the sudden all seven of our trunks were hovering above our heads.

    "Uh, Pads do you need a hand?" Remus asked, looking skeptically at the floating trunks.

    "I got it Moony!" Sirius responded. But he, in fact, did not have it and about halfway to the entrance hall Peter's trunk came crashing down to the ground.

    "Oops, sorry Pete!" Sirius exclaimed while James and Remus exploded into laughter behind him.

•••

    As the countryside blurred by outside our train car I listened to James tell some elaborate joke. I'm pretty sure he didn't even know what the punch line was. I looked over to Sirius who was staring out the window.

    "You're quiet today, is everything okay?" I asked quietly.

    "Hm?" He turned to look at me. "Mm Fine," He muttered.

    "You seem nervous."

   "What would I have to be nervous about?" 

  "I don't know," I laughed gently. "That's why I'm asking."

    "I am, a little bit. I'm about to meet your mum."

    "Sirius you've met my mum before. She loves you!" I said really laughing at him this time.

    "Yeah, but I didn't meet her as your boyfriend."

    "It'll be fine I promise!" I insisted, even though I was feeling a little nervous as well. I had never brought a boyfriend home before.

•••

    As we stepped off the train I was greeted by the familiar hustle and bustle of the platform. Marlene was whisked away by her family almost immeadiately. While Remus and Peter stepped through the wall to find their families. Leaving the rest of us to find my mum.

    "Maude! Over here!" I heard a familiar voice and turned to see my mum waving us over.

    "Hey!" I said giving her a quick hug. Lily also leaned in for a hug and the two boys shook her hand. I saw my mum's eyes linger on Sirius for a moment longer than my other two friends. I worried for a moment but then she gave him a warm smile.

    "I was thinking you four would just like to head back to the house and get all unpacked right away. Does that sound good?" My mum asked.

    "Yeah, sounds great mum, we just need to go grab our trunks." I responded.

    We wandered back over to the train and I heard James making some comment about meeting the parents, Sirius just gave him a shove.

    When we reached our bags we quickly gathered everything and picked them up, this time without magic.