epilogue

I slowly opened my eyes, all I could see was white, for miles and miles. What had happened?

But then a face popped into view. A face I thought I would never see again.

"Lily?" I asked, hardly believing my own eyes.

"Maude," She said softly, sounding almost sad.

"Wait, but you're- you're dead"

"Yes," She took my hand and helped me up.

And then everything came rushing back. Harry, the Death Eaters, Bellatrix, the veil, Sirius.

"Sirius" I whispered. Lily pointed towards two men, standing just a few feet away. "Sirius," I said, louder this time. 

He turned to look at me and grinned. He looked younger, stronger, happier. My feet moved on their own accord and I threw myself into his arms. He held me so tightly it felt as I might be bruised.

Can dead people have bruises?

"You were supposed to live" He pulled away, giving me a sad smile. 

"Not without you" I whispered. I pulled him into another hug before stepping out of his arms and turning to the man beside him. The man with soft brown eyes and messy black hair.

"James" I grinned at my friend.

He pulled me into a hug that was just as bone-crushing as the one from Sirius. 

Lily walked over and joined us.

"Thank you, for watching over Harry" She hugged Sirius and I in turn.

"I wish we could still be there for him" I whispered, the reality that I was dead slowly sinking in, along with a feeling of sadness.

But that feeling was quickly pushed away when a blonde head came walking out of the sea of whiteness surrounding us.

"Marlene!" I exclaimed, throwing myself at her. 

Sirius pulled her in for a hug too.

"So where are we?" Sirius asked, glancing around the room, though I'm not sure if you could quite call it a room. It seemed to stretch on forever.

"We don't know," James said.

"Trust me, we've tried to figure it out" Lily added.

"But we are most definitely dead" Marlene finished.

"Time is different here though, we never seemed to get bored," Lily explained. "And we often bump into people we know, like just the other day, we saw Gideon and Fabian."

"We do know that we're safe here," James said, smiling.

"And we're together," I said. 

Part of me ached for living, for our friends we left behind, but I knew that here we could find peace, and be happy. And that was enough for me.