chapter 57

The Order members were spilling into the kitchen for the weekly meeting. As usual, Tonks and Remus had been the first to arrive, then the Weasleys, Kingsley, and Moody. We were waiting on Mundungus and a few others when someone unexpected strode into the room.

Severus Snape.

Sirius was up in seconds, his wand pointed at Snape's chest.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asked, his voice dangerously low. Everyone in the room stopped their conversations to watch the interaction.

"Calm down Black," Snape said, completely unbothered by the fact that there was a wand pointed at him.

"Why-"

"Sirius lower your wand" Moody commanded. Sirius did, but reluctantly. "Dumbledore sent him here."

"Why would Dumbledore send an ex- Death Eater to an order meeting?" Sirius glared at Snape. "For all we know he could be spying on us."

"Dumbledore trusts him," Moody said, but I noticed he sounded rather doubtful.

"I don't," Sirius said.

"Cry about it," Moody muttered, then turned back to Snape. "Severus I would do your best to avoid Mr. Black, I don't feel inclined to protect you again." With that Moody returned to his place at the head of the table.

Sirius wasn't the only one uncomfortable with Snape's presence, as he strode across the room everyone watched him uneasily. Either he was oblivious to the stares or he chose to ignore them. He ended up sitting near Tonks who looked incredibly uncomfortable with the seating arrangement.

"I can't believe that Dumbledore trusts him" Sirius muttered, returning to his seat.

"Neither can I" I responded, glancing at Snape furtively.

"He was a Death Eater for crying out loud!"

My response was cut off by Moody starting the meeting.

Both Sirius and Remus were glaring daggers across the table the whole meeting, and though I could tell Snape was trying his best to stay unaffected he started to look rather uncomfortable.

The meeting ran late so Sirius and I invited everyone to stay for dinner.

Everyone accepted the invitation, except for Snape, who left the moment he had a chance.

"Thank Merlin" Remus muttered as we watched him walk out the door.

Even though it wasn't her house Molly insisted on cooking for everyone. Soon the kitchen table was loaded with food, various Order members were scattered around the room deep in conversation.

When we all sat down for dinner I ended up between Remus and Molly, Sirius, on the other hand, was seated between Moody and Kingsley.

"Looks like Sirius is enjoying his dinner" Remus whispered leaning towards me.

I glanced over to Sirius who was staring at the wall while Kingsley and Moody were having a conversation. The expression on his face was one of pure boredom.

"What do you think they're talking about that's got him so bored?" I asked, laughing slightly.

"Their sex lives" I choked on my drink. Tonks had leaned in from the other side of the table and was grinning at the effect her comment had.

Remus tried and failed to hold back his laughter. Sirius's eyes flicked over to me, he winked and returned to staring at the wall.

When I turned back to Remus he was deep in conversation with Tonks so I was left to start a conversation with someone else.

When everyone finished their meals people started to make their way out slowly until eventually, everyone had left besides Remus and Tonks.

"Thank Merlin that's over, I thought Moody and Kingsley would never stop talking. They were going on and on about work" Sirius dropped onto the couch, draping his arm over my shoulders.

"Tonks sorry to break it to you, but your previous guess was wrong," I smirked at the younger witch.

"What a letdown!" She exclaimed.

Sirius looked between the two of us, confused, and then to Remus who just shrugged.

A couple of minutes later I got up to use the bathroom and when I returned Remus and Tonks were talking and Sirius was just sitting there watching.

"I can't believe it" He whispered when I sat down next to him. "Remus, ignoring me, to talk to a girl!" I rolled my eyes at him.

"When do you think Remus is gonna get his shit together and ask her on a date?" I asked.

"Knowing Remus?" He paused. "Never."

I just laughed.

The four of us talked a while longer before Tonks left at around 9 pm and Remus left about thirty minutes after her.

"Hey I'm just going to make sure everything's closed up properly and then I'll be up," Sirius said, as I was making my way up the stairs.

"Okay" I called back.

I made my way upstairs and jumped in the shower. When I slipped out of the bathroom and into the bedroom I found Sirius in the midst of changing out his clothes from the day.

He turned around without warning and wrapped his hands and pulled me towards him.

"Hi," I said.

"I haven't kissed you today" He muttered, sounding rather annoyed.

"That's fine-"

He cut me off by pressing his lips to mine, his hands moving up from my waist to hold my face.

"Better?" I asked when he pulled away.

"Not yet." He pulled my face back to his, kissing me slowly, taking his time. Like we had all the time in the world.

"I love you, Sirius Black," I said smiling.

"I love you more Maude Black" He grinned.

I was taken aback for a moment. I obviously knew my name wasn't Collins anymore, but no one had addressed me as 'Black' before. The smiled on my face widened.

We fell onto the bed tangled in each other, so in love.