chapter 5

The first quidditch match of the season was coming up and it would be Gryffindor versus Slytherin. There had been many taunts and insults between the two teams in the past week. James had even ended up with silver and green hair for a whole day.

     I had tried my best to stay out of most of it and thankfully succeeded. So far. 

    "Hey, Collins" I turned to see a group of Slytherins leering at me.

    Shit. I guess my luck only lasted so long.

     I opened my book and pretended not to hear them, but they were stubborn.

    "How did a muggle-born like you make the Quidditch team? Your spot should've gone to a pureblood, you don't deserve it." I turned farther away from them, trying my best to ignore the burning feeling in my eyes, it wasn't like I hadn't gotten these sort of comments from the Slytherins before.

    I almost reached for my wand, and believe me it was tempting, but it was better to not get detention just hours before a game. So instead I made myself walk away.

    "Leaving so soon mudblood?" 

     In a flash, I faced  their ugly faces again and reached for my wand. But someone else beat me to it.

    "Leave her alone," Sirius said raising his wand and pointing it at each of them in turn.

    "What a nice surprise, the blood traitor," The tallest one leers.

   "What are you going to do Black, fight us all?"

   Sirius shrugged and a shit-eating grin spread across his face. "Sounds like a good time."

    Right at that moment, McGonagall poked her head out of her classroom to see what all the fuss was about.

    "Mr. Black, why do you have your wand out? You, of all people, should know by now that dueling is against school rules," her voice was stern.

    "But professor they were threatening her," Sirius protested gesturing towards me.

     McGonagall narrowed her eyes.

    "15 points from Slytherin, and 10 from Gryffindor, now please run along I need to get back to teaching," and she promptly turned and shut the door behind her.

     I watched the Slytherins scatter. My eyes still burned and I rubbed them vigorously, trying to play off the redness I knew was there.

   "Are you ok?"  Sirius asked, turning towards me.

    "Fine."

    "Really?"

    "No." I sighed.

    Sirius just looked at me for a moment and then he did something I would've never expected from him, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to his chest. He smelled good, like rain, some expensive muggle cologne, and something that reminded me faintly of a dog. strange.

    We just stood there for a while, my tears had already dried up, but I didn't quite feel ready to face the world just yet.

    Finally, we broke apart, and the strangeness of the hug hit me, never in my six years of knowing Sirius had I ever, fully, hugged him.

    "Thank you," I said feeling a little bit awkward.

    "Anytime" he grinned at me "Now we need to get down to the quidditch pitch so you can kick some Slytherin ass"

    And we did.

    Kick some Slytherin ass that is.

    With a score of 220-90 the Gryffindor section erupted into a screaming mass of red and gold.

•••

    By the time the team got out of the locker room and back to the castle there was already a party raging in the Gryffindor common room. Sirius and Peter had nicked some firewhiskey and were passing bottles all around.

    "MAUDE!!" I looked to see Lily and Marlene running towards me. They tackled me in a tight hug and congratulated me on the game.

    James and Sirius wandered over to us a few minutes later already looking rather drunk.

    "Lily! Would you fancy a dance?" James asked grinning stupidly at her.

    "I'll pass," Lily said but instead of her usual glare, she smirked at him.

    "Damn, you really don't want to dance with all this," He gestured to himself.

    "Not particularly," Lily responded primly.

     "Next time," James muttered under his breath as he and Sirius walked off to find Peter and Remus. I laughed at them, feeling much better than I had before the game.

    "You looked badass out there today," Marlene told me.

   "Why thank you," I grinned at her. 

   "You really did," Lily added. 

   "I never would have been out there without my biggest fans," I joked and pulled them into another big hug. 

   "Maude?" Marlene mumbled.

   "Mhm?"

   "You're strangling us," Lily responded.

   "Oh sorry," I laughed and released them.

  "And you stink" Marlene coughed dramatically.

  "Yeah, I got rushed up here before I showered," I grimaced.

  "I can tell," Lily giggled.

   "Oh shush," I grinned. 

   "Come on," Marlene pulled us across the room. "We can't let the first years have all the good food!"

    As the night when on the Marauders got drunker and drunker. James asked Lily to dance about a hundred times, seeming to forget that she had already told him no. At one point McGonagall showed up and told us to head to bed, but her efforts were half-hearted, she seemed as excited about the game as we were.

    I spotted Sirius in the corner snogging some random fifth year. I couldn't stop myself from glancing over at him and the girl every once and a while and I wasn't quite sure why.

    "Jealous are we?" I looked over to see Marlene smirking at me.

    "No?" I asked, confused by why her question was making me feel so flustered.

    "Oh I don't know...." she responded giggling "Maybe you fancy him" I looked at her surprised.

   "Mar have you been drinking? You're crazy," I protested.

   "Just butterbeer," She grinned. "And I might be a little crazy, but I'm also right!"

    "Marlene I don't-" but she laughed at me and walked away before I could finish the sentence.

     I definitely did not fancy Sirius Black. Not at all. We were just friends. Right?

    I pushed the thought away but my eyes continually drifted to the corner, no matter how hard I tried to focus on anything else.

hello!

so things are getting more exciting! if you enjoyed reading this please/vote comment it means a lot! also it's 12 in the morning and I should definitely be sleeping, but i just had to put some ideas down

what's your hogwarts house? i'm a ravenclaw

xx anna