chapter 35

The grey weather outside reflected my mood. If you had told me last year that my best friend was going to die, I would have predicted more tears. But in the week since the funeral, I had only cried once. Instead, I found myself without motivation for anything. 

  "Hey," Sirius said softly.

  "Mhm?"

  "I have something to show you, I think it's time you get out of the house."

  "What is it?"

  "A surprise." He had a mischievous look on his face.

   "I'm not sure-"

   "Come on love, you need to get outside. Mar wouldn't want you to be sulking around."

   "Okay." It felt monumental to get off the couch and change out of my sweatpants. I brushed my hair for the first time in three days and put on real pants. 

   "You ready?" Sirius asked. 

  "I hope so," I said.

   "Let's go," He smiled.

   I grabbed my jacket and followed Sirius into the hall down the steps, and into the cool night air. I took a deep breath, the crisp air filling my lungs. I was glad Sirius had convinced me to get out.

  "So what are you showing me? What's the big surprise?" I asked as we began to walk along the sidewalk outside our building.

   "Just a little further, then you'll see," Sirius said, still being secretive. We approached the corner and everything went dark and he slipped his hands over my eyes.

  "Hey!" I protested.

 "It's just for a second," He led me forwards. I counted twenty steps before he removed his hands. We were standing in front of a row of parked cars. Right in the middle,a large black motorbike was parked.

   "Is this yours?" I asked, incredulous.

   "What the tricycle?" He gestured to a children's toy a few feet away from us.

   "Oh shut up. You know what I'm talking about." I shoved him gently.

   "Yeah, it's mine." He had a goofy smile on his face. "I found it in terrible shape and fixed it up. I've been keeping it at James's place. I was planning on telling you about it right away, but then I thought it would be a cool surprise."

  "It looks brand new, that's impressive" He grinned at me and pulled out two helmets, plopping one on my head.

   "We're going for a ride," Sirius said, jumping onto the bike.

   "Are you sure this is safe?" I asked, sitting behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist.

   "Pretty sure," Sirius said, as he started the bike up.

   "That's reassuring," I said sarcastically.

   "I'm kidding Maude, it's perfectly safe" He laughed as we took off down the street.

   As we rode through the city the sun began to set in a display of beautiful colors. The wind blew through my hair and I felt truly happy for the first time since Marlene's death.

"What'd you think about making this thing fly?" Sirius yelled over the sound of the motor.

I immediately tightened my grip around him. "It can fly?"

"Not yet," I could hear the smile in his voice.

•••

    We entered our apartment hair and faces windblown, and dropped down onto the couch.

   "Thank you," I told him.

   "For what?"

   "Getting me out of the house." 

   "Anytime" Sirius smiled at me and placed his hand on my face and pulled me in for a kiss. His hands held my face as the kiss deepened and I pulled myself onto his lap, so I was straddling him.

    "I have one more thing to show you," He whispered, pulling away from the kiss.

   "You're full of surprises tonight. What is it?" I asked. 

Sirius didn't respond, just pulled his shirt over his head, revealing his bare chest. I was confused at first until I noticed a dark tattoo sprawling across the skin above his heart. It was a large black dog surrounded by three other animals, a stag, a wolf, and a rat, above them, a small black bird was flying. I gently traced my fingers over the ink ingrained in his skin, admiring the tattoo.

   "It's wonderful," I said softly. My fingers paused on the small bird. "Does the bird have any significance?" I asked.

   "It's you" Sirius smiled at me.

   "Really?"

   "Yeah"

  "I love it" I murmur, pressing a soft kiss to his mouth. "I love you" His fingers traced my spine, as he continued to kiss me, our bodies pressing together. In one movement Sirius pushed me onto my back, so he was on top of me. 

  "Hi" He smirked, looking down at me. 

  "Hi," I said softly, pulling his face back to mine. He kissed me as though he wanted to steal the breath from my lungs, his hands traveling all over my body. I was so focused on him, that all other thoughts left my mind, the world could've ended and neither of us would've noticed.

sorry, this one is kinda short :/ 

but I thought they needed a happy moment

xx anna