chapter 4

I had finally recovered from the grueling first quidditch practice when James announced that we would have quidditch practice three times weekly for two hours each, with extra practices before games. And on top of all the quidditch, I still had hours' worth of homework to do.

How was I supposed to have any fun?

    I spent my morning rushing to and from my classes, getting more and more work to do every hour. I found myself reading my Transfigurations textbooks and taking bites of lunch at the same time.

    In theory, a study hall should be used for studying, but the words in my book were blurring together and my eyes were drifting to the windows. I gave my best effort, but just a few minutes later I shoved my books into my bag and left the library. 

    I had hardly walked a meter before I saw something grey and shiny hovering above my head near the door of a broom closet. I started reaching to touch it when a pair of hands shot out of the closet, grabbed my arms, and pulled me in.

    "I wouldn't touch that if I were you," said a familiar, taunting, voice. They still were holding my wrists and our faces were only inches apart. I could just make out bright grey eyes and dark hair.

    It was Sirius.

    "What the hell is going on?" I asked him. He released my wrists and I heard him chuckling. 

    "Oh just a little prank for dear old Filch."

    It was a prank,  I should've known. And even though, like everyone else, I hated Filch, I felt bad for him every once and a while. I opened my mouth to tell Sirius this when he put his hand over my mouth and made a shushing gesture.

    I furrowed my eyebrows and tried to pry his hand away but he didn't budge, just smirked at me.

   "Shh, he's coming!" Sirius fumbled with his wand for a second and quickly cast some sort of spell on the door that made it see-through. I assumed Filch couldn't see us because he looked at the door as if it was any old closet. Light filtered in and I could see that Sirius was grinning, which made me slightly scared for whatever was going to happen next.

    All of a sudden Filch's eyes caught on the odd floating light and he reached up to it, but unlike me he had no one to stop him. The second his fingers touched the glowing orb, it expanded and started raining confetti on him. He shouted loudly in surprise, then started jumping up and down and batting his hands at the glowing orb that now resembled a small cloud. I could feel Sirius beside me shaking with silent laughter.

    Then, it got even better. Peeves showed up, and I could no longer hold my laughter in. The poltergeist had started singing loudly and throwing pencils at Filch while dancing in circles around him.

    In-between bouts of laughter Sirius explained that the spell wouldn't stop for another hour unless you knew the correct and very complicated counter-curse. Filch stood there yelling at Peeves and trying to make the confetti stop raining on him for another couple of minutes before he scurried away muttering under his breath about finding Dumbledore.

    After our laughter finally died down we exited the broom closet. Thankfully the hallway was still empty or that would've looked rather incriminating for the both of us.

    "That was some pretty impressive magic, how'd you figure it out?" I asked.

    "We all came up with the plan and Moony did all of the spell-work. Prongs was gonna come with to watch the chaos, but then he said something about doing a project with Lily, and I had to pull it off alone." He smiled at me.

     "Really terrible of James to leave you like that," I quipped.

    "It really was heartbreaking," Sirius grinned.  "But you were good company instead."

    "I try," I told him, returning his smile.

••

    I lay awake in my bed watching the rain hit the windowsill and listening to the sounds of Lily and Marlene sleeping. My mind kept drifting back to my encounter with Sirius, and believe me I tried my hardest not to think about it, but I was failing miserably. 

hi all!

i enjoyed writing this chapter so i hope you enjoyed reading it!

please vote and comment <3

p.s. and not just kind of a post script, but like a p.p.s. seeing as the first part of this note was written in 2020 and it's been 2 years! anyways i've been doing some pretty heavy editing and i just changed the cover of this chapter. you can't tell me that isn't the most 'sirius' photo of ben barnes you've ever seen