chapter 49

For the third and final time, I was sitting in the stands for the Triwizard tournament. I had chosen to sit with the Weasleys and Hermione instead of the teachers this time around. Sirius had debated watching in his Animagus form, but he had ended up staying home.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the third and final Triwizard task!" Dumbledore's voice rang out across the stadium.

The roar of the crowd decreased to whispers as the four champions stepped onto the field. Harry offered us a nervous wave, which I returned. The twins cheered loudly which earned them a look from their mother.

"Mr. Potter and Mr. Diggory will be entering the maze first, then Mr. Krum and finally Ms. Delacour"

The crowds whispering returned to a full-blown cheer at the champion's names.

"On my whistle boys!"

There was a shrill tweet of a whistle and Harry and Cedric were off into the maze. Five minutes late Krum entered and then Fleur.

Truly there wasn't much to watch and scattered conversations broke out across the crowd. The band was playing quiet music as we all watched the entrances of the maze.

I'm not sure how much time had passed when red sparks shot out of the maze. About five minutes later an unconscious Fleur was dragged out of the maze by Hagrid. Madam Pomfrey bustled over to her and I returned my attention to the maze.

  The sun began to set and I could tell the crowd was beginning to get nervous. Conversations had faltered out and everyone was paying rapt attention to the maze.

   All of a sudden two people stumbled out of the maze. Cheers broke out among the crowd. Harry and Cedric were standing at the entrance, the Triwizard cup in hand.

  The crowd jumped to their feet applauding and cheering. The band started playing some sort of celebratory song when I noticed something was off. There wasn't a smile on Harry's face, in fact he looked like he was crying.

  A scream broke through the cheering and everyone went silent. Cedric slumped to the ground and Harry collapsed on top of him.

  Cedric Diggory was dead.

  There was a scream of anguish from someone I recognized to be Amos Diggory. The man rushed down from the stands and threw himself on his son's body, sobbing.

   Everyone had gone silent watching the horrible scene unfolding in front of us.

How had this happened?

Harry was ushered away by Alastor Moody, while Cedric's body was quickly taken away from the crowd.

Molly pushed her way down through the crowd, motioning for Arthur and I to follow her.

When we reached the field Dumbledore and McGonagall rushed over to us.

"What happened?" Molly asked, sounding frantic.

"The cup was a Portkey," Dumbledore said gravely.

"How is that even possible?" I asked.

"Someone has betrayed us"

"Where were they taken? Who killed Cedric?" Arthur questioned.

"They were taken to a graveyard just outside of Little Hangleton. And as for who killed Cedric..." Dumbledore trailed off, glancing over to McGonagall. He took a deep breath and continued on. "It was Lord Voldemort."

Dread settled in the pit of my stomach at his name.

"How?" I asked, my voice sounded strangled as it came out.

"I'm not sure yet, I'll have to speak to Harry about what went on in the graveyard." Dumbledore seemed to be talking more to himself by now. "As a matter of fact, we should be doing that now. Come with me, Minerva"

"We'll keep you three updated," McGonagall assured us before they left. "And Ms. Collins?"

"Yes?"

"Can you make sure Mr. Lupin hears about all this? It seems as though the Ministry won't be releasing any information about this"

"Of course"

And then the two professors were gone, headed to find Harry. Part of me wanted to wait around and make sure Harry was okay, but I knew McGonagall and his friends would look after him. I needed to tell Sirius what happened.

I quickly bade the Weasleys goodbye and started my walk back to Hogsmeade.

I could hardly process everything. I thought Voldemort was gone, he needed to be gone. But he wasn't. The man that was single-handedly responsible for the death of my best friends had returned.

At some point, tears had started falling down my face. Something moved in the shadows of the road and I sped up, feeling much more scared than usual.

I didn't feel safe until I was in the shop, with the door locked behind me, though I couldn't seem to stop the steady flow of tears down my face.

I stood in the dark store, steeling myself to break the news to Sirius. How could I possibly tell him this, his experiences with Voldemort were just as bad, even worse than mine.

I knew I couldn't wait in the dark forever so I took a deep breath, wiped away my tears, and made my way up the stairs.

"Hi," Sirius said glancing up from where he was sprawled across the couch. When his eyes landed on my face he pushed himself up from the couch and walked over to me. "Hey what's wrong?"

"I- I don't-" Tears were falling down my face again. God, I was sick of crying, it feels like it's all I ever do.

Sirius brushed his thumb across my cheek, pushing the tears away.

"Maude I can't do anything if you don't tell me what's wrong," He said softly. I took a deep breath, collecting myself.

"Voldemort is back"

fun fact: i was watching goblet of fire while i wrote this!
also we hit 2k reads today! that's insane, thanks for sticking around to read this haha
xx anna