chapter 54

"You want to get married in a week!?" Molly exclaimed, sounding slightly frantic. "We'll have to clean the house, decorate, invite-"

"Molly!" The older witch stopped talking and turned her attention to me. "We don't want it to be a big thing, just your family, my Mum, and Remus, maybe Tonks and McGonagall."

"But you'll need a dress, and Sirius needs dress robes and-"

"I can do all of that, I'm going to Diagon Alley this weekend."

"But where is it happening? Sirius can't leave the house!"

"We'll do it here. As I said, nothing fancy, it will be special either way."

"At least let me decorate?" Molly asked.

"Okay" I gave the older witch a smile.

•••

"Come on Maude! Let us come with!" Ginny and Hermione had caught me before I got out the door and were insisting on coming to Diagon Alley with me.

"Fine," I said, which earned a smile from both the girls.

Before I knew it we were walking through the busy streets of Diagon Alley. Hermione and Ginny were chatting happily and pointing out people they recognized as we walked along.

When we finally reached the bridal shop we slipped inside. The whole main room seemed to be draped in shades of white, silver, and gold.  One wall held traditional wizarding dress robes, while the other had more Muggle-like styles. A blonde woman standing behind the counter gave us a cheery smile.

"How can I help you, ladies?" Her voice was just as happy as her smile. "I'm assuming you're here to look at dresses?"

"Yes," I responded.

"Great! Do you have anything in mind?"

I truly hadn't thought about it, everything had happened so fast.

"I'm not exactly sure, something simple"

"Well we can work with that"

Five minutes later Hermione and Ginny were seated while the sales-woman brought dress after dress for me to try on.

They were all beautiful, but none seems quite right. One had too much lace, while the next was too revealing. I was beginning to give up any hope of finding a dress when the clerk returned with another dress.

It was made of satin and silky smooth to the touch. It was sleeveless with thin straps running over my shoulders. The dress had a v-neckline and the skirt fell all the way to my feet.

I stepped out of the changing room to show Ginny and Hermione, who loved it.

I turned to look at myself in the mirror. I couldn't tell you why, but it felt like the dress had been made for me. I was hit with a memory of the day Marlene and I went dress shopping with Lily. I had thought the exact same thing about her dress.

I must have been lost in memory longer than I thought because Hermione walked up behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?" The younger witch asked.

"I just-"

I just wish Marlene and Lily were here for this.

"I think this is the dress" I announced, pushing away the unhappy thought.

When I purchased the dress I also bought new dress robes for Sirius.

When we arrived back at Grimmauld Place I was greeted by the sight of Molly deep in conversation with my Mum, who had arrived while we were shopping.