Chapter 29

It's been a week. A whole week has gone by with no change in Alexander. Rogues nip on every side of our border and we have three or more patrols running at once throughout the day.

            "No, Im sorry." I press the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I drain the noodles for dinner. "We can't afford to lose anymore wolves, Alpha Strike. I understand your worry for your pack, but we have far worse issues here."

            A hand settles on my shoulder and I turn as Dad takes the pasta back to the sauce. "Yes Alpha Strike. Good night to you, too." I hang up and throw my hair into a sloppy bun, making sure to wash my hands before handling the food again.  I've relieved the volunteers, telling them that I could handle dinner on my own. I work around Dad, filling up two plates before setting the food out for the pack.

            Everyone is solemn and mechanical with our Alpha comatose. Dad follows quietly as I make my way to my usual eating place - Alexander's medical room.

            Susan has hooked him up on some IV that gives him necessary nutrition. We're almost to the room when my mark tingles and my heart flutters. I pause with one hand on my chest and a smile on my face.

            "What is it, Riley?"

            "He's awake!"

            I dash down the corridor with Dad on my heels. I try not to spill the spaghetti because Alexander might want some. We're near his door now.

            "Ahhhhhh! Get away from me!"

            The shout is from Alexander and we burst through the door. He's standing on the bed, Doctor Who pj pants and pillow clutched to his bare chest. His foot is lifted and pushing someone away.

            I laugh at his disgusted face when I see who he is pushing away. Melissa has on a pouty face as she whines and reaches for him. My mark and heart tell me he hasn’t let anything happen. Obviously, he hates this girl.

            Walking over, I dump the plate on her curly red hair. "When will your desperate self, realize that he is MINE. He's my mate and I feel sorry for yours.  Boy, do I pity the guy that gets stuck with you, slut."

            She gasps. "Ah! You - you bitch!" Stomping her feet like a baby, Melissa stalks off in anger.

            "About time, " Stone laughs.

            I hardly notice him, though. Alexander and I have locked eyes and an invisible force has lassoed our hearts together, tugging our bodies together. He jumps off the bed and stalks over to me. I gasp.

            "You shouldn't be up. You almost died. I can't believe you're awake, but please take it easy. You should --" His lips cut off my rambling and my legs turn to jello.  Gripping his biceps, I try to steady myself. When that doesn't work, Alexander wraps one long, strong arm completely around my waist. I bring one hand up to run through his hair. It's dirty from not being washed, but I don't care. His cheek is warm and lively and I  brush my hand across his stubble.

            We pull away and rest our foreheads against each other. I feel the familiar electricity run between us as I explore his torso as if making sure he's truly here.

            "Riley," he whispers as he pulls my hairband out and runs his fingers through my hair. "Let me do this right. Go on a date with me?"

            I nod. "Yes."

            "Yes?"

            "Yes."

            We grin.

            "Alexander . . . you saved my life. You almost died."

            His lip twitches. "Like I could let you die." I open my mouth to protest.  "There's only one, Riley. There's always only one. You almost feel ashamed that without them, you'd feel like nothing. A mate is your other half forever. You're my other half, Riley. You're my mate. You're all that's left for me here."

            "Alex . . . " I feel tears in my eyes.

            "Shh," he places his hands on my back. Dipping me down, he makes my heart flutter. "I've thought about doing this for a very long time, Riley." With that, he claims my lips again.

            A throat clears. "That's, uh, my daughter."

            Alexander growls playfully against my lips and pulls away. "Alpha Stone, how's your Luna?"

            He smiles. "She's great. There was a conflict back home and she left to help Rey." Dad pauses. "Rey wants to me meet you two, but I can't imagine leaving Riley now that I've found her."

            "You're welcome to stay here after the challenge. Isn't it soon- wait, how long have I been asleep?"

            I chuckle at his worried face. "Just a week."

            Dad speaks up. "There's a nice carnival in Seattle. I could go check the situation and you two could tag along. Your parents should be back soon; they're visiting someone."

            Alexander nods and slips his hand in mine. "I'll think about it. Riley, can we get some food and go talk upstairs?"

            Smiling, I say good bye to Dad and get some food before bounding up the stairs. We set the plates on the table and sit. "What have I missed?"

            "No rogue attacks, just some activity at the borders now. They seem to have backed off which is never good. The pack has been tense, so we'll need to inform them of your awakening."

            He pushes his plate forward, still full of food. Propping his elbows up on the table, he rubs his face. "I have work to do," he says as he stands and stalks out the door. I stare after him. What did I say wrong?

            Standing, I leave my unfinished food on the table as well. I fill his gigantic tub with hot water and bubbles before sinking into the soothing bath. I'm missing something. Alexander is obviously keeping a secret and after the whole 'mate' secret, I'm not sure I can completely trust him.

To do list:

·         Well, I've missed too much school to go back. As Luna, I won't ever need a job, so maybe I won't go back.        

·         I should call Maggie.

·         Alexander needs to know about Tom and Daniel.

·         We need a new patrol schedule.

        I laugh as the bunny tickles my nose with a feather. I mumble for him to stop, but I'm suddenly coughing. Jerking up, I cough out water. Dang, I must have fallen asleep.  Maybe I should go to bed.

      Putting on Alexander's shirt, I climb into the cold bed. Great, he probably won't sleep tonight.