Chapter 44

My chest feels tight as Alexander drives us back home. There's conflict within my body as my heart and mind fight against each other. One wants me to tell him, but the other reasons with the threat to my friends. Guilt washes over me as Alexander takes my hand, softly playing with the expensive ring. I love the design and beautry of it, but keeping these events from Alexander makes me feel dirty. And the ring is the cherry on top.

        Alexander mumbles something about how happy he is that we will be together forever. I can only hum in response. Daniels is asleep against the back seat window, his arms wrapped around a sleeping Tom. After the dance with Josh, they ran up to me, claiming they have known about this for a while. I was too upset to be upset with them.

         We walk hand in hand to our room. Daniel and Tom stumbling tiredly to theirs. Alexander's lovestruck smile doesn't waiver as I gather my clothes for a shower.

        He catches my bruised waist ignorantly. "Here. I'll help you with your dress." His fingers graze my back and the pull of the mate bond almost makes me shout out my distress.

        "N-no," I pull away. "I can get it." The bathroom door closes softly and I lean against it with a sigh. I turn the water as hot as it will go and stand under it until the water runs cold.

        The freezing water shocks me. I grumble as I begin washing my hair and body. I quickly jump out and dress, shaking a towel hastily over my hair before throwing it up in a wet, messy bun.  The lights are off in the bedroom, so I softly walk to my side of the bed and lie down. I can see Alexander laying across from me, his back to me. I sigh and stare at the ceiling.

        James is the Alpha Rogue and Josh is working with him. Josh is weak, so by siding with James, they both have benefits. James gets an inside spy and Josh gets protection.  But James won't want a weak person as his Beta. He wants to raise a large and strong pack and he needs a Luna to do it. Problem is, he doesn't have a mate. He wants me, but why am I important? There are penty of other Luna's out there so what makes me special? Maybe it's not me. Maybe it's revenge on Alexander. Why? Plenty of Alpha's have killed Rogues. I feel like Alexander is the connecton here, but he's not telling me. He's keeping something from me.

        Just like I'm keeping something from him.

The only clue that Alexander slept here is my hair. I stretch across the cold, empty bed as I wake up. My hair falls across my shoulders as I sit up. The strands are slightly wavy, but not tangled, and my hair band rests on the bedside table. I yawn as my phone rings. "Hello?" My voice cracks and I reach to grab the glass of water on the table, swinging my legs to place my feet on the floor.

        "Mouse."

        The glass falls, thankfully not breaking on the carpet.

        "James."

        "I got your number from a friend."

        "Josh, I know." I pick up the glass and carry it with me to the closet so I can put it in the kitchen later.

        "Ah, yes. He thinks he'll be the best Beta ever." James pauses. "Too bad I'm the only one who will be in charge of my pack. No Beta, just an Alpha and Omegas."

        I slide on my shorts, clutching the phone with my shoulder. "That's stupid. Your pack will never survive."

        "Not without you. I need a Luna."

        "Why did you kill Rey?"

        James begins laughing and I clutch the glass tighter. I recognize his voice and laughter from Alexander's voicemail. "I want you, Riley, and I want you to know that. I killed an Alpha, snuck into your territory, left you a nice little birthday present, and here I sit. Unharmed. A King! You will be my perfect Luna."

        My voice trembles when I reply. "You're sick and you are not going to get away with this. I won't ever be your Luna and Alexander-"

        "Is fine with you keeping secrets?" I can almost hear the smirk in his voice. "Yeah, that lie you're living, Riley," he pauses to let out a short bark of laughter. "How's that going?"

        The glass shatters in my hand and I realize I've clutched it too tightly.

        "You think he's going to want you when he realizes you've been keeping secrets? What other secrets do you have? Maybe you're cheating. Maybe you're incahoots with me. He won't believe anything you say."

        "You've given me no choice!" I yell. A sob almost bursts, "what am I supposed to do?! You're sick and twisted and I wish you were never born!" My scream falls on deaf ears, the call ended with his last sentence.

        I sink down against the wall of our bedroom. Glass pokes against my legs and my hand is bleeding on the white carpet. I clutch my knees to my chest as I cry. Rey died because of me and I can either ruin my relationship with Alexander or send Daniel and Tom to their deaths.

        "Riley!" Alexander scoops me up and carries me to the bathroom, gently washing my hand and pulling out glass. Once he's bandaged the cuts, he takes my face in his hands. "What happened?"

        "I-I'm sorry." The floor has suddenly caught my attention.

        He tilts my head up and I get lost in his eyes. "For what?"

        My voice leaves in barely a whisper. "I can't, Alexander. I can't. " Tears fall once again, but he wipes them away with his thumb. I catch the shine of his ring in the side of my vision.

        "Riley, please tell me. What's wrong?"

        "C-can you call Daniel and Tom up here? I'll tell you as long as I can see them."

        Alexander's brow furrows, but he mindlinks the two boys anyway. He follows me to our living room and I curl up on a chair while he paces. Daniel and Tom enter and slowly walk to sit on the couch with confused looks.

        Three things happen next.

        I begin to speak, "last night-"

        A shout from Zach echoes in our heads. Rogues!

        And the windows shatter.

        Human and wolf Rogues barge into the room all around us. A deep loud growl radiates from Alexander as the three boys jump into fighting postions. Tom shifts, but the other two fight in human form.

        "Riley, come here!" Alexander shouts. I jump up to run to his side when a strong arm catches my waist.

        "Oh no, you don't." A gruff voice sings in my ear.

        "ALEXANDER!"

        "RILEY!" He shifts and starts throwing Rogues out of his way to me. I struggle as the man pulls me to the window and jumps. My foot hits the ground painfully, making me cry out.

        The large black wolf identical to me jumps out behind us and snarls showing threatening teeth. He stalks toward us and the man holding me laughs. A dozen or more wolves run and jump on Alexander, taking him to the ground as I'm pulled away.

        "NO!" I struggle harder and the man growls before sending a fist to my face.

        My world goes dark.