Chapter 37

Alexander's POV

I can't sleep.

I've been up all night thinking of the rogues and their purpose for the murder. Obviously, they want Riley, but they want to scare her first. They showed how much they are paying attention to her. From her birthday to her brother, they know everything. Somehow, the leader found all this information. He was able to get into my pack house and my bedroom. And I think I know who it is.

When Riley wakes up, we head downstairs for breakfast. Some pack members acknowledge her, but it's like she's in another world.

I place a plate of syrup covered waffles in front of us. Riley sits quietly as I cut them in perfect squares before handing her the fork.

"I'm not hungry," she states, placing the fork back on the plate.

I give it to her once again. "You're going to eat, Riley."

She stubbornly shakes her head and puts the fork down again. "I am not hungry. If I eat, then I'll get sick."

"No, if you eat you'll get healthy. You already don't eat much in the first place. You can't quit eating. Now, eat the damn waffle."

Glaring at me, she yanks the fork out of my hand. She stabs a square and bites it off the fork, scraping her teeth against the metal. I wince as the sound echos from my heightened hearing. At least she's eating.

Three bites later, she suddenly stands and runs out of the kitchen. I chase after her, turning the corner into our guest room and then the bathroom. I catch up just in time to hold her dark brown hair back as her breakfast leaves her stomach.

Her stomach continues to contract even though there's nothing left. I crouch down and use my free hand to rub her stomach softly as she leans back against my chest.

"Sorry," I whisper in her ear. I shouldn't have pushed her to eat the food if she wasn't ready. Letting her hair fall down, I wrap my other arm around her also. I suddenly hear her sob.

"There was so much blood," she cries as she turns so that I cradle her against my chest. She burries her face in my neck.

"I know, love. I know."

"He wouldn't want me to be like this," her words are muffled in my shirt.

"No," I agree. "No, he wouldn't."

Her small hands clutch my shirt like a child would. "What do I do?"

Resting my chin on her head, I stare into our room. "You try to let him go - not completely; just accept that he's gone. We will avenge him, trust me. But right now, we let him go."

"Have you . . . done this before?"

Memories flash of blood, fire and smoke. "Yes," I say in a tight voice. "I . . . lost my brother."

Riley moves to study my face. "How?"

I sigh. "He'd been Alpha for a year. There was a Rogue attack with . . . so much fire and blood. Many of our pack died that day. I was sixteen - fought my way through tons of Rogues . . . I took over as Alpha that night."

"And your brother?"

"I lost him, Riley. But he's gone and I accept that."

"I'm sorry,"she whispers.

I jerk back from the memories. "Ah, don't be. It's over now. Seven years later, here I am with an amazing Luna." I plant a kiss to her cheek.

Riley giggles softly. "Let's go home."