FORTY NINE

The devastated forest after the great battle was renamed the forest of evanescence. The land was covered with blood and ash and the group was baffled to know that Morgana and the Sword of Power had disappeared.

“Let's not lose our cool, the sword will be near and when we find it we will go for Morgana” Merlin declared without waiting for the next confession.

“Morgana has taken the sword!” Pym said sharply, causing everyone to look at her, “I watched as she carried it off in the middle of the battle.”

“What? Why?” Arthur asked with concern.

“I don't know. She was by my side and suddenly I saw her in the distance go away with the sword in her hands.”

In that instant Merlin realized that the shadow he had seen in the middle of the fight was actually the Widow.
Meanwhile, Arthur reflected trying to understand why his sister had left with the sword without saying anything and he feared that his friends would think that she had stolen it.

“There must be a reason. My sister wouldn't take it.”

“I know” Nimue answered seriously, “Take it easy, we'll find your sister, together.”

Suddenly, Arthur turned his head when he noticed the broad hand of the Green Knight on his shoulder.

“Morgana has decided to leave” the knight began, “We still don't understand why, but at least we know that nothing happened to her during the battle and that she left of her own accord” he added to comfort that downcast young man.

The support of his friends made Arthur's fears disappear, who would not stop until he found his sister.
After collecing things and before leaving, Pym, without any malice, tried to ease the tension in the environment.

“It seems like it's already a habit to lose the Sword of Power” Pym said laughing innocently, causing the others to shoot her a withering look and she realized her inappropriate comment, “Sorry... it was a joke.”

“The sword will return to its chosen one” Merlin assured, looking at his daughter.

“I hope so” Nimue snorted, “the problems with the Church are getting worse...”

“But we have one another” Squirrel chimed in with a big grin, making the others smile as well.

“You're right” she replied, “We will defeat the Church and our people will one day be able to return home.”

Merlin put his arm around his daughter's shoulders and proudly offered her a warm smile.
Leaving that desolate place behind and with the Weeping Monk's tracking ability, they set out ready to find the missing Widow and the Sword of Power.

During the journey the monk led the group following the tracks of not very large footprints that coincided with Morgana's shoes, when the Green Knight approached him, distancing himself from the others.

“So your name is Lancelot, right?” the knight began.

“And your Gawain from what I've heard” said the monk pausing before continuing, “Thank you.”

“Why?”

“You made me reconsider what I was doing. Now I know that I have found my way, a mission in which I fully believe and those I want to protect.”

“I see... but it wasn't just me who made you change your mind, right?” he indicated with a gesture towards the group and continued, “I understand that Squirrel has touched your heart, he did the same with me. That boy wants to give the best of himself and if he gets an idea in his head he will do it at all costs, although Nimue is not far behind but I suppose you already know that” he commented with a sigh, “And while we fight against the Church, the Feys are still out there in unknown lands.”

The monk raised his head and for a few seconds the fall of the leaves due to autumn transported him to good memories. It seemed like a long time since he met that boy that allowed him to begin his new journey and the tense and uncomfortable first meeting with Nimue. He was sure that if by then she had had the Sword of Power in her hands she would have attacked him.

As the sun went down, the temperature plummeted on top of a mountain where exhausted they stopped to rest. They had been looking for Morgana for hours but the trail ended in that place so they decided to continue in the morning.
Withdrawn from the group, Nimue and the Weeping Monk were talking alone about the chaotic day they had passed.

“Why is she gone? I don't like seeing Arthur like that” the young woman began.

“It's his sister, he loves her. I would also worry if you disappeared from my sight without saying anything.”

Nimue gave him a playful and flirtatious smile upon hearing him.

“Are you trying to tell me that you love me? Lancelot you are very good at fighting but horrible at expressing your feelings.”

“You're right, I'm not good at dealing with people and even less expressing what I feel” he confessed, “But there's something I've been wanting to do all day and I need you to know.”

Solemnly and ready to take an oath, the Weeping Monk knelt on the grass full of brown leaves without taking his eyes off Queen Fey who was taken aback by the scene.

“Lancelot?”

“When you came down those wooden stairs and I saw your smile in Áine, I knew it Nimue. That is the smile I want to see when I wake up for the rest of my life and I know that you do not need anyone to protect you, but I want to swear before my God and yours that I will support you and dedicate my life to the mission and to protect the Fey.”

Nimue, who was slow to react in surprise upon hearing those words, dropped her body, kneeling in front of him as well and with glassy eyes she gave him a sweet and soft kiss on the lips.

“I only ask that you be by my side. That's enough for me” she whispered a few inches from his mouth.

Fate put them on the same path, but only they themselves decided to walk together.
Squirrel's energetic voice called everyone from a cliff with spectacular views.

“Look at the sky!” he exclaimed the boy pointing at the sun.

One next to the other they observed the beautiful colors of the sunset that tinted the sky at the top of that mountain.

“It's magical” Pym said with a twinkle in her eye.

Orange, red and yellow tones fused with the clouds and the infinite blue sky, causing peace and warmth. From that place you could see hundreds of kilometers of forests with roads and small wooden and stone houses next to grain mills.

Suddenly, the crack of dry branches made the group turn, finding behind them two girls they had never seen before.

“Who are you two?” Nimue asked without lowering the guard.

The Weeping Monk subtly put his hand on its hilt when he saw the sword that one of them carried, which was dressed in good fabric while simple and did not hide her obvious nervousness. Taking a step forward with her arms glued to her body, the girl headed towards Nimue.

“My name is Caili, and this is my friend Nora!” the girl answered energetically, “Are you the Wolf-Blood Witch?”

That young dreamer who one day began to walk her own path to become a knight at last was able to meet the witch she admired so much.

With a new king on the throne of Pendragon, Abbot Wicklow dead, Morgana and the Sword of Power missing, and the Fey on the island of Avalon, unknown times were coming for our protagonists, but only time and their decisions will tell what the future holds.

Cursed 2On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara