EIGHT

Merlin and Morgana walked down the gray stone slope to the shore of the lake where Nimue fell in order to find her. Morgana, now the Widow, carries away dying souls who are going to die but tonight she did not take Nimue.

“It has to be around here! It has to be somewhere!” he murmured nervously looking from side to side.

An incomprehensible whisper in the cold wind produced a tingle on the back of Morgana's neck causing her to turn around trying to find where it was caming from.

“Merlin, did you hear that?”

“I haven't heard anything, focus, we must find her.”

As the wizard searched for any hint of her daughter, the Widow kept thinking about that whisper.
After a few seconds with glassy eyes he strode towards the uneasy Morgana grasping her shoulders firmly.

“Morgana, can you see her with your power?” he asked breathing heavily.

“I don't even know how to do it, I don't have an instruction book for being the Widow.”

The weight of anxiety, fear and despair made their minds unable to work clearly.
Nailed to one of the dead branches next to a sturdy tree, an old torn and blackened cloth caught the attention of Merlin who was leaned into the cold mud holding it in her hands.

“Merlin? Did you find something?”

“I know where it is” he whispered without taking his eyes off the fabric, “I know where Nimue is.”