FIVE

In the beautiful little town of Castle Combe, a boy and two seventeen-year-old girls were having fun at the local market, eating a variety of fruits and dancing to the lute while listening to traveling musicians. It was all laughter and fun.

“Caili, Nora come see this!” yelled the boy named Owen showing a black fruit in her hands.

“What is that?” Caili asked.

“The seller gave it to me, she says it's an exotic fruit from distant lands.”

“And have you paid for it? You've definitely been scammed” Nora stated without surprise as he was too innocent and often easily fooled by other people.

“It looks spoiled Owen. Don't eat it.”

The big and personable boy took a confident bite as their faces showed disgust. Owen couldn't help spitting out the rotten fruit as he felt a roar in his stomach that made him run to evacuate.

“One day he'll die for not keeping his mouth shut” Nora said making Caili laugh.

The girls met Owen only a few months ago in the town square creating a ruckus trying desperately to open a walnut without success, instead they had known each other forever and their friendship was special.

Their lives were peaceful, Caili was high class therefore her parents did not like their only daughter mixing with Nora and Owen who were just locals.

“What are you wearing there?” Caili asked pointing to the basket her friend was carrying.

“Flowers! On the way to the market I picked little flowers.” she stood in front of her and continued, “I want you to stay still.”

“For what?”

“You listen to me! Yesterday you were very excited while you were telling me Olinda's novel and--”

“It's Olivia” Caili corrected.

“Well, the fact is that since you liked the flowers in her hair so much, today I'm going to put them in yours” she continued, “It's not jasmine like in the story but they will do.”

“Wait, Nora, it will look like I fell into a bush!”

“But you will be a very pretty bush.”

Unable to avoid laughing out loud, she let her friend decorate her blonde hair.

“You always know how to make me laugh.”

“For something I am your soul mate” Nora said with a smile.

“And I yours.”

“Always together!” they exclaimed at the same time the oath they used to take while intertwining their pinkies under the infinite blue sky without knowing that that peace would soon end.