THIRTY

The bustling streets of the city of Pendragon became empty and gloomy.
At the entrance to the old brothel, Nimue noticed something she thought she had seen before, a weathered wooden sign with the word Áine. Leaning in the doorway of that place, an elegant woman whom all the girls listened to and the men respected suddenly raised her voice.

“Stop! Children are not allowed in Áine” said the woman in an authoritative voice.

“We just need a room for the night. It doesn't have to be too big” Nimue pleaded.

“You and the young man can stay but the child is very young.”

“I am not small!” Squirrel exclaimed, “A little boy wouldn't have a mission to escort someone as important as her to the palace and take down the paladi--”

The Weeping Monk grabbed his arm and put his hand on the boy's mouth before he continued speaking. Squirrel broke free of him with ease offering him a withering look.

“To the palace? Have you been invited to the palace?” the woman asked, “Wow, I didn't think we had such important people around here. They will be able to stay with total discretion, but first of all, won't you think of going like this, dear?”

“What do you mean? What's wrong with my clothes?”

“Good thing you've come to my brothel, girl” she replied shaking her head from side to side, putting a hand to her chin, “It's stained, muddy, and stinks. A king is going to receive you, isn't she? So it's important to make a good impression and I know something that would look great on you” she said putting her arm around Nimue's back, guiding her to a small wooden staircase inside, “And do not worry dear, you will not have to pay me anything, you will promote me very well as soon as one of my dresses steps on the royal palace.”

Her insistence made the young woman resign herself and accompany the brothel madam upstairs while the monk and Squirrel remained downstairs.

After several minutes, Nimue came down the old stairs smiling behind the madame in a beautiful dress. She wore a tight white corset with several golden applications at her waist imitating grape leaves that descended on the long light blue skirt that flowed delicately with waves that reminded of a pure and mysterious lake. A strange glow emanated around her.

“You look beautiful Nimue, you look like a deity!” Squirrel yelled enthusiastically.

On the other hand, an unknown feeling quickened the heart of the monk who was staring at her for her beauty, trying to act as normally as possible so that she would not notice his high pulsations, when involuntarily, Nimue bit her slightly pink lip and their gazes met causing him to look away abruptly in fear trying to control that confusing feeling.

“It's not something I usually wear but I have to say it's beautiful. I appreciate it ma'am” she said giving her a smile of gratitude.

“It's nothing, dear. Come, I will show you where you will stay” she replied heading down a small corridor towards a dark door, “I only have this free room and you don't expect there to be more than one bed in there because it won't be like that. My guests come here specifically looking for a good kind of... company and not an inn.”

“Don't worry, whatever will be fine” Nimue said.

“Well, I just ask that you keep the boy close, I don't want him snooping around the building. My clients seek discretion.”

Squirrel rolled his eyes at those words, tired of the woman treating him like a child.

“Of course” Nimue concluded.