THIRTY NINE

The sun began to fall producing beautiful colors in the sky as if they were the gates of heaven painting all of Pendragon.

It was a mistake. Trusting your enemy was a mistake” Nimue repeated to herself over and over as she followed Squirrel slipping through the streets when, suddenly, the boy turned to her and stopped in perplexity.

“Nimue, are you okay? Why are you crying?”

Without her noticing, tears were running uncontrollably down her cheeks.

“Lancelot... Lancelot has betrayed us” she whispered.

“Lancelot? That is not possible--”

Without waiting for the boy to finish speaking, Nimue started walking quickly with her gaze fixed, as if she had seen prey to hunt.
With a strong blow she pushed the monk against one of the walls and put her knife to his neck.

“How could you?”

“What are you talking about?” he asked puzzled.

“You tricked me! You just wanted to earn my trust to give me to the Trinity and you warned them!” she reproached in pain, staring into his eyes without taking the knife away from him.

“What are you talking about?” Squirrel put in, “there is no time, we have to go!”

“Nimue listen, it's not what you think, I knew something was wrong but--”

“I trusted you and you betrayed me!” she interrupted him in distress pressing the knife against him, “Do you know what it's like to have friends? Or what is it like to worry about others, about your loved ones? Do you know what it is to feel something? I think not” she declared coldly, “I don't want to see you again, Lancelot.”

During that time, dozens of men of the Trinity went door to door through the houses of Pendragon terrorizing the locals while they searched for the Blood of Wolves Witch in their houses.

“Nimue, listen to me please” the monk begged holding her wrist, which was still held the knife on his throat, “Squirrel and you were the only people who showed me kindness in a long time and you are the only one who gave me a reason to live and that I really want to fight for. Now I know that there is nothing wrong with who I am and that I want to protect my people, protect you both. Therefore, do you think I would betray you? Nimue, I didn't warn them, believe me.”

Those unexpected words surprised her taking a step back and deflecting the knife from his throat. The monk's deep eyes were sincere, and although she told herself not to fall for his lies, deep down she believed him.

“Nimue, it was King Uther who tipped off the Trinity, it was all a trap” he continued, “If you are not calm because you cannot trust me and you want me to leave, I will understand and accept it.”

“I... I don't...”

“Hey, you two!” Squirrel yelled, “this is no time for arguments. Lancelot, I found a way out as you asked me, so if you've finished playing, let's get out of this hell.”

The three of them set off taking advantage of the chaos of the place while the embarrassed young woman bowed her head, thinking about her mistake caused by old prejudices and influences and the unexpected fear that the thought of his betrayal produced in her.

“I'm sorry, I was too hasty. I... I don't want you to go” she whispered making sure only he heard her.

A jolt occurred in the heart of the Weeping Monk, who fell silent wishing to embrace her and tell her that he would not leave her side.
Meanwhile, Squirrel led them to a stream outside Pendragon when Nimue encountered someone she didn't expect to see.