SIX

Fleeting and unfamiliar images that she had never seen were projected randomly in Nimue's mind, which was sunk in a deep sleep that seemed real. In it she could see blurry and messy scenes of a small cross, an old sign with Áine's name, chariots of fire, a crown thrown in the mud, the sea bathed in red and the Sword of the First Kings over and over again.
Incomprehensible whispers slowly woke Nimue in a small cage with metal bars. His wounds covered in a smelly green goo were much better and his legs were already allowing her to stand up.
The whispers stopped abruptly in the dark and cold place giving way to strong and heavy steps that approached the cage.

“So it's you. The woman everyone is looking for, the Blood of Wolves Witch” said a low harsh voice that sent Nimue shivering.

“Who you are?” she asked anxiously.

“I am Rugen, The Shadow Lord of the Damned.”

“The King of the Lepers? What do I do here? Let me out!” Nimue hit the cage hard with her foot.

“If I were you, I'd stop moving girl. My servants have stopped the bleeding from your stomach, but it will bleed again if you don't behave. You are my bargaining chip.”

The king was almost ten feet tall and weighed over four hundred kilos, demonstrating the blood of giants running through his veins.

“What do you want from me?”

Rugen's mouth twisted and he paused briefly as if searching for his words before continuing.

“An old "friend" has a debt to pay to me, to his majesty” he answered frowning.

“What does he have to do with me?”

“I have eyes and ears everywhere” he continued, “the one I'm talking about is Merlin's traitor and I know you were on the bridge together before you fell into the water. He has something I want.”

Nimue remembered that fateful moment with sadness wondering what had become of his father and her friend.

“It is fortunate that you are still alive with such wounds, you should be grateful for treating your injuries” the cave walls shook with the malicious laughter of the Leper King.

“Grateful? I'm caged!” she replied irritably.

“And alive!” he added, “don't worry, if the magician Merlin brings me the Sword of the First Kings, you can go” Rugen turned towards the exit ignoring Nimue.

“Where are you going? Get me out of here!” her angry voice echoed off the cracked gray walls as she watched as she was left alone with a sentry.