Department of Mysteries

"How did you get away?" asked Harry in amazement, taking hiswand from Ron.

"Couple of Stunners, a Disarming Charm, Neville brought off a really nice little Impediment Jinx," said Ron airily. "But Ginny was best, she got Pug-face — Bat Bogey Hex — it was superb, her whole face was covered in the great flapping things."

"I broke a chair. Blaise and Theo helped, Blaise gave me chocolate. Dray needs to make up his fucking mind." Nova began as she handed Hermione her wand. "What have you done with the bitch?"

"She got carried away," said Harry. "By a herd of centaurs." 

"And they left you behind?" asked Ginny, looking astonished. 

"No, they got chased off by Grawp," said Harry.

 "Who's Grawp?" Luna asked interestedly. 

"Hagrid's little brother," said Ron promptly. 

"Anyway, never mind that now. Harry, what did you find out in the fire? Has You-Know-Who got Sirius or — ?" 

"Yes," said Harry, as his scar gave another painful prickle, "and I'm sure Sirius is still alive, but I can't see how we're going to get there to help him." 

They all fell silent, looking rather scared. The problem facing them seemed unconquerable. 

"Well, we'll have to fly, won't we?" said Luna in the closest thing to a matter-of-fact voice Nova had ever heard her use. 

"Okay," said Harry irritably, rounding on her, "first of all, 'we' aren't doing anything if you're including yourself in that, and second of all, Ron's the only one with a broomstick that isn't being guarded bya security troll, so —" 

"I've got a broom!" said Ginny. 

"Yeah, but you're not coming," said Ron angrily. 

"Excuse me, but I care what happens to Sirius as much as you do!" said Ginny, her jaw set so that her resemblance to Fred and George was suddenly striking. 

"You're too —" Harry began. 

"I'm three years older than you were when you fought You-Know-Who over the Sorcerer's Stone," she said fiercely, "and it's because ofme Parkinson's stuck back in Umbridge's office with giant flying bogeys attacking her —" 

"Yeah, but —" 

"We were all in the D.A. together," said Neville quietly. "It was all supposed to be about fighting You-Know-Who, wasn't it? And this is the first chance we've had to do something real — or was that all just a game or something?" 

"No — of course it wasn't —" said Harry impatiently. 

"Then we should come too," said Neville simply. "We want to help." 

"That's right," said Luna, smiling happily. 

Harry's eyes met Ron's. He knew that Ron was thinking exactlywhat he was: If he could have chosen any members of the D.A. in addition to himself, Ron, and Hermione to join him in the attempt to rescue Sirius, he would not have picked Ginny, Neville, or Luna. 

"Alright. You three are coming," Harry agreed but turned to Nova. "You aren't."

"R.I.P Harold," Marlene whispered. 

"Come again," Nova asked, challenging Harry. 

"You aren't coming."

"Like hell I'm not!"

"Oh no. Mum and Dad are fighting," Ron joked. 

"Ronald, shut up!" Hermione hissed.

"You could die!" Harry yelled.